Kallis takes over captaincy
2009-03-12 09:39
Altus Momberg – Die Burger
Cape Town – In a dramatic development the Proteas had to appoint a new captain on Wednesday because Prince felt the twin responsibility of captaincy and opening the batting would be too much. Cricket South Africa thus duly announced on Wednesday afternoon that Jacques Kallis would take the reins.
However, Omar Henry said Prince should not open the batting in any event. It is ridiculous to expect Ashwell Prince to open the batting in the last test against Australia.
Henry, a former convenor of the South African selection committee, said on Wednesday he cannot understand why AB de Villiers, who has a lot of experience opening the batting, is not being asked to perform the role in place of injured captain Graeme Smith.
“There are statistics on Cricinfo that show Smith and De Villiers have been the most successful South African opening pair since 2005. It wasn’t great (an average of 30.69), but South Africa is the most difficult country in the world for opening batsmen to play in,” said Henry.
Prince missed the series in Australia with an injured finger and JP Duminy grabbed his chance with both hands in his absence. Prince then did not make the squad for the first two tests in South Africa. However, the Proteas’ struggles have expedited his return.
He has never opened the batting in test cricket, while De Villiers has done it 35 times (at an average of 36.14). Prince and Imraan Khan will open the batting in the third test at Newlands after Neil McKenzie was axed and Smith broke his right hand.
One should also ask why De Villiers is apparently being wrapped in cotton wool by team management. He is an experienced player with more than 50 tests behind him. However, he is not expected to open the batting or utilised as a wicketkeeper.
Henry, who was replaced by Haroon Lorgat as convenor in 2004, said he felt there had been serious problems with the batting order since the series in Australia.
“We could have lost both the first two tests in Australia. It was only thanks to a rookie (JP Duminy) and the tail scoring 80% of our runs that we managed to win in Melbourne,” said Henry.
“Everybody was euphoric after the series win, but nobody paused to think whether we still had problems in the batting order.”
Henry would strengthen the batting line-up by making De Villiers the wicketkeeper.
“I know his stated desire is to concentrate on his batting. However, I believe it will be in the team’s interests for him to take the gloves,” said Henry.
“When players are initially picked they are prepared to do anything to stay in the side. It should be the same after 50 tests.”
Henry believes De Villiers will improve the balance of the side by playing wicketkeeper.
“It’s simple. There are three options. You can keep the current side, you can replace Mark Boucher with an additional batsman, or you can replace Boucher with an all-rounder such as Albie Morkel. I don’t think you can argue that the last two options make for a stronger side than is currently the case.”
news24