Problems receiving phone calls after porting your number

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Problems receiving phone calls after porting your number

MyBroadband recently received a complaint from a reader who ported their cellphone number from Vodacom to Telkom, only to find that calls from the Vodacom network were not reaching him anymore.

This is not the first time such problems have been reported, although based on the reports and feedback received, these do appear to be edge cases.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Telkom clearly needs a new O' Sullivan. Every media request to them = no comment received...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I am finding this issue only with people calling me from Vodacom and no other Carrier after I ported from Telkom to Cell-C. When I ported from MTN to Telkom a couple of years back it was the same issue from certain Vodacom callers.

Ryannza

2 years ago we ported 40 contracts from MTN to Vodacom.
These vodafools didn't even know their own process.
We also had issues with no calls at all being received.
Vodacom blames MTN and vice versa.
In the end it took a few days of business phone silence.
It's just shocking at the lack of training and knowledge these service providers have.
Super quick to take your money, super quick to provide the lowest service levels possible

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
i'm locked in at cellc. i tried porting to telkom, but it never worked and telkom couldn't help me either.

McGuywer

Executive Member
How do you contact the providers?
There should be a department/email address that only handles routing updates.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
i'll give that a try when i get my new phone (hopefully soonish), because i'll need to get a new sim anyway seeing as i can't cut my current one down to a nano.

thanks for the tip. :)

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have activly asked people who are on Vodacom to try and phone my Cell C number since porting to them. Of the 9 who tested, only 1 could get through. The other 8 have an issue where the call simply drops without even ringing.

I called Cell C regarding the issue and the Agent noted that she does not know what is woring but it looks like a Vodacom issue.
P.S: [MENTION=102777]Cell_C[/MENTION] - You need to inform agent N. Msomi that her attitude when I called in is damaging to your brand. She was impatient and I literally had to explain my problem 3 times.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have activly asked people who are on Vodacom to try and phone my Cell C number since porting to them. Of the 9 who tested, only 1 could get through. The other 8 have an issue where the call simply drops without even ringing.

I called Cell C regarding the issue and the Agent noted that she does not know what is woring but it looks like a Vodacom issue.
P.S: [MENTION=102777]Cell_C[/MENTION] - You need to inform agent N. Msomi that her attitude when I called in is damaging to your brand. She was impatient and I literally had to explain my problem 3 times.
My issue of not being able to receive calls from Vodacom-networks numbers was resolved. According to Cell C, Vodacom were still routing calls to Telkom and not Cell C. They also confirmed that they sent the porting data to Vodacom previously when it was sent to all the other Networks.
In any case the matter is resolved.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
"Vodacom said users can also contact it to effect the necessary routing changes to pre-empt any problems with a port."

When you call vodacom after porting to Cellc, Vodacom says its no longer their number and are not interested in any way to try fix the issue.

This article is totally useless if it doesnt provide some way of helping the reader to follow up with Vodacom. Anyone know who I can contact to 'update the routing' ? CellC says Vodacom needs to fix it. Ported a number from Voda to CellC now cant receive calls from Vodacom. Sounds like a Vodacom routing issue but Vodacom has no clue...

Anyone who can help me get to the right person?

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Is this still an issue? My vodacom contract is cancelled on 31 dec 2018 and I'm planning to porting to telkom mobile in the new year

Nips

I've got the same problem. Ported from Vodacom to Telkom and now can only receive calls from Telkom numbers. At one stage I had both SIM cards in my phone and was able to make calls with both cards and they both sent the same number.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
One would think that this would be a quick and simple process... And it should be.
It is neither simple nor is it a quick process. There are many steps that need to be attended to and if you port a number, you should not expect the number to work on the other networks for at least 24 hours. If you push the system, you are bound to delay the porting process.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
It is neither simple nor is it a quick process. There are many steps that need to be attended to and if you port a number, you should not expect the number to work on the other networks for at least 24 hours. If you push the system, you are bound to delay the porting process.
It supposed to be a relatively simple process, even according to the people who created SS7 protocols. But then again, this is Africa..

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
In the ideal world, ALL numbers of all forms "never" "belong to" a network provider. If this was the case, there would be no porting required at all, just a shift of who handles the connection.
Yes, the technical side would seem simple, but I don't think the implementation actually fully complies with the standards as envisaged. In South Africa, quite a bit of "intelligence" was built into the numbering systems, which then became a stumbling block, because that "intelligence" influenced routing.