Professional or for the fun ?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I was wondering whom of the regular posters (and not so regulars also) are in photography and graphics for a living?

I have seen some pretty impressive pictures here and know that most of the folks shoot with SLR cameras and have more glass in their lenses and camera bags than what you would find at the local PG Autoglass ;) It seems that many also use dedicated computer hardware and software (like Apple and Adobe stuff) for post processing.
Surprisingly it seems that no one uses models in their photography :confused:

Anyway, just wondering who does it as profession and who does it for the fun of it?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Both. :)

Everything I post here or on my flickr site though is strictly for fun so please dont judge me :eek: :p :D

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Strictly for kicks. It's something I've wanted to do since I was boy.

Not everyone here has a wife, Roux :p

Anyway, as far as I know both Calico182 and Kevin Brown shoot people for money. Looking at Kevin's photostream, it's kinda obvious why his stuff don't feature in this thread :) (NSFW)

And just for the record, I do shoot people. In fact, the majority of my shots have people in, either as the subject, or as part of the scene. A good number of my shots are portraits too - so much that I'm considering something like the Canon 100mm f/2 is my first lens with my new DSLR instead of a multi-purpose zoom. But I'm somewhat paranoid about privacy, and don't put people shots on-line for the whole world to see. I really dislike other people doing it to me, so I try to avoid doing it myself.

pete

Expert Member
My wife and I are running an after-hours business. We do product photography (or should I rather say she does the photography mostly...), develop web sites, design catalogs; corporate imaging; brochures etc etc, pretty much any design requirement.

I am really happy about this photography section, because I have really lost the will to be creative with my photography. Nowadays, its all about getting the job done in the same way that we've always done it, get the payment and move on. I've realized from browsing around here that I should really get back into being creative with the camera at every opportunity.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Thanks for the response so far guys.

Personally I have made some money from my work (lucky me it was in pounds :p) but my real work is software development in .NET and PHP so I am not relying on photography for anything but the fun of it and the challenge I have of taking good pictures with dirt cheap hardware. :D

I must admit that so far I failed with a sub R100 camera but I guess there is only so much one can do. :rolleyes:

stix

Expert Member
Web Design, mainly front end stuff, wordpress, photoblogs that kind of stuff. Started mucking about, did a couple of courses in exchange for some web work.

Started shooting, with no idea, been 12 months of heavy experimentation experience

will shoot for food :D

Love it to the point of obsession, done one or two small jobs, but just been commisioned to do a full product range with standard and creative options
so i guess now its a bit of both

:D