Progress made in Gauteng regarding driver licence renewals

RaptorSA

Expert Member
"We are aware of the trend that seems to be developing where people fail to honour their appointments"

Yeah you're referring to people like me.

Where there's f**k all confirmation on whether your booking actually went through or not so my answer to vehicle and driver licensing these days is the same answer I give the SABC license dept...

Go and get f**ed.

system32

Expert Member
We are aware of the trend that seems to be developing where people fail to honour their appointments.
One word "prepayment"
Non refundable as the slot is unable to be used.

This has 4 benefits:
  1. Improves attendance
  2. Reduces tellers - which can be upgraded to testers.
  3. Reduces admin
  4. Makes the process faster for consumer - don't have to queue for teller
Other improvements:
  • All forms online, so you only do your finger-print, eye test, sign at center
  • Print license immediately after test - so you don't have to come back to collect
RTMC can send my consulting fee to OUTA.
Much cheaper than McKinsey.

markings

Expert Member
The hold up is in the eye testing. If one fails then one needs to go and see an optician who will give one specs and a certificate that allows one to get a license without any further test.
Why not allow opticians to test and give a certificate to all? 5 years ago Spec Savers charged R20 for this.
It would reduce the queues considerably.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The hold up is in the eye testing. If one fails then one needs to go and see an optician who will give one specs and a certificate that allows one to get a license without any further test.
Why not allow opticians to test and give a certificate to all? 5 years ago Spec Savers charged R20 for this.
It would reduce the queues considerably.
I always go to my optometrist for an eye test when Im going to be renewing a license, they give me a certificate and the licensing people are happy with that.
The machines in testing department are so scratched and difficult to see through that I always have issues with them.

lotus123

One word "prepayment"

This has 4 benefits:
  1. Improves attendance
  3. Reduces admin
Other improvements:
  • Print license immediately after test - so you don't have to come back to collect
+1.
Not to mention less Covid-smitten things to touch.

However, it will require a bit of IT work, and that means a tender, and so ....

markings

Expert Member
I always go to my optometrist for an eye test when Im going to be renewing a license, they give me a certificate and the licensing people are happy with that.
The machines in testing department are so scratched and difficult to see through that I always have issues with them.
When I went to the optician they didn't want to me a certificate. I first had to go and have the official test, fail it, and then only go to the optician.

under_sky

Expert Member
Went to the Alex testing station today to do some change of ownership stuff and the license renewal que is madness like dam it was crazy.
But i guess this December is gonna be a busy one for all to sort this out

under_sky

Expert Member
One word "prepayment"

This has 4 benefits:
  1. Improves attendance
  3. Reduces admin
Other improvements:
IE what they doing for passports etc at the bank now

Robocop

When I went to the optician they didn't want to me a certificate. I first had to go and have the official test, fail it, and then only go to the optician.
They allow it it now. And actually prefer it.
My wife and i did it about 2 weeks ago and they accepted it with no squabbles.
Cost us R50 each at the local optometrist.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
"We are aware of the trend that seems to be developing where people fail to honour their appointments"

Yeah you're referring to people like me.

Where there's f**k all confirmation on whether your booking actually went through or not so my answer to vehicle and driver licensing these days is the same answer I give the SABC license dept...

Go and get f**ed.

I received an email when my booking was done?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Latest thing I saw was they then take that optometrist test, and log the results manually into some system, which ends up taking as much time as if you'd done the test there. And, they don't let you skip queues anymore if you have that.

Gallderhen

Is the online booking only open for the current month? Wanted to book an appointment in January but no station had a date open (even the ones that had openings in December)

-G-

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
I see this when querying the status on the website:

Card Status: The card is at the DLTC.

This seems too good to be true, 2 and a half weeks since ordering?

VooDooC

Expert Member
The system they used in Centurion a couple of years ago where you booked online at a private company worked wonders, I was in and out in less that 30 minutes. But no, that was way too successful so they had to scrap it and Africanize it so that it's as ****ing useless as everything else our government put their hands on.

FFS, it's not that difficult to get a working online process going. We live in an age where we have every conceivable piece of computer tech that can make this process so quick that you'll not even have to lift your ass from your seat but no we have to do it the worse way possible so that we can employ 100s of useless people to sit there and infuriate everyone.