Pupil stabs another boy... a year later... again

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2384739,00.html

Kimberley - Exactly a year after a pupil allegedly stabbed a boy to death in Upington, he apparently took out a knife and stabbed a fellow pupil in a school hostel room in Groblershoop.

Suspect Cameron van Wyk was 17 at the time of the other pupil's death on August 27 2007, but has since turned 18.

In 2007, he allegedly stabbed and killed Edwin Phillips, 15, on the grounds of Carlton High School in Upington.

Groblershoop High School Principal Johannes Hendricks said the latest stabbing incident took place on Wednesday in a hostel room shortly after breakfast.

The suspect and victim are both matric pupils and roommates in the same hostel room, which they share with other boys.

The victim, a 20-year-old matric pupil, was stabbed twice behind his left ear and sustained a flesh wound and a deeper injury.

According to Superintendent Mashay Gamieldien of the Groblershoop police, the suspect and the victim had been arguing about pens when the suspect took a knife out of his bag and stabbed the victim.

ummm... can someone tell me why this guy was still walking around a year after he stabbed someone else to death? :eek:

do we just not lock people up anymore cos it is against their human rights?

Rozier

In SA? Never....I had a 19y/o guy in my class in Std.7 He was disadvantaged yes, but only because it was 1992! :p

Are you suggesting that he would have been brighter if the date had been 2008 when you were in std. 7?:confused:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Are you suggesting that he would have been brighter if the date had been 2008 when you were in std. 7?:confused:

The guy was genuinely disadvantaged. You can't say the same about the
current crop of pupils (learners or whatever they're called now) since
politically at least - there is equality.

Flanders

Honorary Master

What I was getting at was that he was black. (being disadvantaged in 1992, hence "previously disadvantaged") but that wasn't the subject of my post. I was just playing on the term 'disadvantaged' in the intellectual sense or rather trying to illustrate that his disadvantage was not a mental one, but rather socially/politically.

Sorry, obviously wasn't clear in my post.

Rozier

The guy was genuinely disadvantaged. You can't say the same about the
current crop of pupils (learners or whatever they're called now) since
politically at least - there is equality.

I can say the same about the current crop. They are genuinely disatvantaged.
Same as in 1992 and 1592 and 1292 and so on and so on.

Rozier

What I was getting at was that he was black. (being disadvantaged in 1992, hence "previously disadvantaged") but that wasn't the subject of my post. I was just playing on the term 'disadvantaged' in the intellectual sense or rather trying to illustrate that his disadvantage was not a mental one, but rather socially/politically.

Sorry, obviously wasn't clear in my post.

That's exactly what I was getting at. And intellectually is the sense I was getting at. The date has no bearing on this disadvantage.

Kim_Webchick

Expert Member
I can't believe the behavior of kids today......I really see that the biggest problem is that there is not enough discipline from their parents!!!!