Question for LINUX networking fundis -- Linux running on a ZYXEL Router ?

Please can one of the LINUX 3G / USB modem gurus help

A friend has a ZYXEL SGB3300 router which was supplied by Telkom as part of a plan / package deal
He does not have ADSL / VDSL or Fibre so must rely on MOBILE for access to the Internet.
Problem is very few operators still supply the USB Modem sticks
I managed to find an old VODACOM starter pack that comes with a USB modem / dongle

This is a ZTE K4203-Z
When plugged into the router it starts up OK and goes to light blue solid indicating a connection to the network (VODACOM )
HOWEVER
The router is NOT recognising the USB MODEM !

I checked via the instructions on this ZYXEL page

https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=013274&lang=EN

Which gave me the necessary info on the ZTE modem
I applied this info but the modem is still not recognised

I then found this page

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2427

Which discusses the exact same ZTE modem in some detail AND provides the info on how to get the modem recognised /working.

"To get it working, I just had to add these lines to /etc/network/interfaces:"

Code:
auto usb0
        iface usb0 inet dhcp
Problem is -- the LINUX running on the ZYXEL seems to have a different file structure and stores the info in some other place -- NO: /etc/network/interfaces

Here is a screenshot of a TELNET session to the router

ZYXEL-SBG3300.jpg

I would really appreciate some kind LINUX guru explaining how I can get the necessary info into the correct place on the ZYXEL version of the LINUX they use AND get the USB modem working

Thanks

Komatist

You realise the point of a forum is to share the knowledge so everyone can benefit from it right?
I do yes. I would like to get his details so that our helpdesk can contact him. We can then share the process on here if it worked.

static_sa

PM'd

I can't post the questions here as I keep getting blocked by MyBB

edit

Nevermind, they blocked that as well

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
you need wvdial to make this setup work.
wvdial has to tell the 3G stick modem to initiate a session, and then it hands over control to the networking stack

uGas Efile

I do yes. I would like to get his details so that our helpdesk can contact him. We can then share the process on here if it worked.
Hi
Thanks for the PM and offer of help
I tried to send you a PM this morning but the power was down -- AGAIN
NO warning no notice just goes off -- UPS batteries have had it and need replacement
/rant

Have NOW sent you a PM

Step by Step .......

you need wvdial to make this setup work.
wvdial has to tell the 3G stick modem to initiate a session, and then it hands over control to the networking stack
Thanks
Please could you go into a little more detail
At this level I need -- "paint by numbers" type instructions

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Thanks
Please could you go into a little more detail
At this level I need -- "paint by numbers" type instructions
The first thing you need to do is to ensure that your 3G modem doesn't default into the mode where it becomes a virtual network adapter. Most HUAWEI modems are in this mode by default, if you plug them into Winblows machines the web page pops up and you suddenly have a virtual ethernet adapter.

You will have to read up on how to switch the mode. When the mode is switched, the 3G modem appears as two or more serial ports to the host. You can confirm this in Linux by using lsusb command.
There are numerous articles online on how to do this. I don't try and remember this stuff.

Then, assuming you got it into that mode correctly i.e. you see devices such as /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 (assuming there's NO other serial ports on the system) you can run a quick check by installing minicom

$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get install minicom

Run minicom and connect to those serial devices you saw on the system, using 115200 8N1.
If you type AT<CR> at least you should see "OK" come back. This means your 3G modem is good to go.

Then install wvdial

$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get install wvdial
Then you need to follow the instructions here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wvdial

Last edited:
Confusion

Then, assuming you got it into that mode correctly i.e. you see devices such as /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 (assuming there's NO other serial ports on the system) you can run a quick check by installing minicom
Thanks for the explanations
Did you perhaps read what was written in this webpage ?

Update:
The modem switches on an ethernet port named usb0 without usb_modeswitch and without sending the AT commands(wvdial)
To get it working, I just had to add these lines to /etc/network/interfaces:
I am telnetted into the device over the Ethernet using XtraPUTTY -- I assume a VTY ?
So I think that I do not need -- minicom ?

This is ZYXELS own version of LINUX so many of the normal LINUX / UNIX commands may be different

I just need to know the correct config file / place to include the commands as referenced in the page I linked ...

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Thanks for the explanations
Did you perhaps read what was written in this webpage ?

I am telnetted into the device over the Ethernet using XtraPUTTY -- I assume a VTY ?
So I think that I do not need -- minicom ?

This is ZYXELS own version of LINUX so many of the normal LINUX / UNIX commands may be different

I just need to know the correct config file / place to include the commands as referenced in the page I linked ...
Sorry I work with standardised aka well-known versions of Linux. Also its unreasonable to expect me to know every single USB modem device there is.

Sooorryyy ....

Sorry I work with standardised aka well-known versions of Linux. Also its unreasonable to expect me to know every single USB modem device there is.
No problem
I apologise if you think that I expected you to come up with an immediate answer
The USB modems I have are ALL regular Vodafone branded devices supplied by Vodacom
I sort of expected these to be -- standard fare ?
Seems that kiepie the consumer is the one that comes short -- AGAIN !

Stand Over ....

What do you get for, ls /sys/class/net , ip link & dmesg
Thanks for the code and interest

The SA distributors contacted me -- but were unable to provide a solution as far as the 3G USB dongles that I had ( that were not on the approved list )
I searched high and low including every mobile network provider in order to find a 3G dongle that was on the approved list. ( A MISSION ! )
I eventually found in an "old-curiosity-shop" computer shop some old stock and an unbranded plain HUAWEI model that was on the list.
Router and WORKING 3G dongle have been returned to owner.

LINUX hacking will have to stand over for another day -- perhaps when I get a raspberry or similar device

Many thanks anyway !

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Have multiple USB modems working on a 3300.

Mostly Huawei device. Will send list.

Love that everyone found the shell! Discovered this on own other day as wanted to check iptables and firewall configs. Usual iptables commands work which is big bonus confirming rules and ports.