Radio as you know it is dead

HideInLight

Expert Member
Sometimes I wish I could control the music played for just one day.
So many great songs out there that just never had their moments on the radio.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I either stream TuneIn Radio or play my own music in the car.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Radio is far from dead. Just cos SA Radio sucks doesn't mean the medium is dead.
I don't think Radio will ever go away, at least not for many, many decades still.
And even then, it will always be a fall back medium.
I remember a similar article about a year ago from Gareth Cliff and nothing has changed in the past 12 months.

I must say though, I really enjoyed listening to Satellite Radio in the USA.
I could get used to that here.

AntiGanda

Banned
Talk radio is in English, but they pack it full of people who haven't really mastered it, or who constantly talk about race or the townships.
I imagine their listnership figures are diving.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Talk Radio 702 used to be cutting edge impartial investigative journalism... but they sold out long ago and today their agenda is very evident.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Talk Radio 702 used to be cutting edge impartial investigative journalism... but they sold out long ago and today their agenda is very evident.

Too true. There are times when I find SAFM to be far more informative. Which says a lot!

ShaunyCT

I use to listen to Phil Wright on 5fm years ago. He use to talk about the bands... Their history and whole life lol which made it very informative. So you get to know a lot more of the bands. And most of the time he use to play the music uninterrupted .

colin001

Too true. There are times when I find SAFM to be far more informative. Which says a lot!

Radio is far from dead!

Having grown up with "the wireless" in the 60s, 70s and 80s I have always looked upon radio as a wonderful source of entertainment, information and education.

It is true that we do NOT have many decent radio stations in this country. If you scan the FM or MW bands in Cape Town you will hear lots of crappy pop music, talk-talk and not much else.

I re-discovered shortwave in 1982 and listened to the BBC, VOA and many other In November 2000 I acquired a Hitachi Worldspace satellite receiver and my world of radio changed forever. The Worldspace radio service lasted about 10 years and ended with a whimper not a scream which is sad because it was great while it lasted.

Internet radio is the way to go now and I now enjoy endless hours of entertaining radio via my PC. And this is only the beginning! I have now discovered live TV streaming and masses of free movies, series and documentaries on youtube. Radio remains my first love however and radio is far from dead.

LONG LIVE RADIO!

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Radio is far from dead!

Having grown up with "the wireless" in the 60s, 70s and 80s I have always looked upon radio as a wonderful source of entertainment, information and education.

It is true that we do NOT have many decent radio stations in this country. If you scan the FM or MW bands in Cape Town you will hear lots of crappy pop music, talk-talk and not much else.

I re-discovered shortwave in 1982 and listened to the BBC, VOA and many other In November 2000 I acquired a Hitachi Worldspace satellite receiver and my world of radio changed forever. The Worldspace radio service lasted about 10 years and ended with a whimper not a scream which is sad because it was great while it lasted.

Internet radio is the way to go now and I now enjoy endless hours of entertaining radio via my PC. And this is only the beginning! I have now discovered live TV streaming and masses of free movies, series and documentaries on youtube. Radio remains my first love however and radio is far from dead.

LONG LIVE RADIO!

You don't need a PC to enjoy radio streaming. Just use the TuneIn Radio app and listen to whatever station you want. I listen to radio from all around the world.