Rage Quake 3 Competition Fail.

St3baS

Personally I am so embarrassed at how the Quake competition went down on saturday at rage... It was a total disaster and I felt bad being involved in such an event with International players involved and all... let me justify my opinion.

1) Nothing was on time... I can understand this to a certain extent... Players being late/not arriving, pc trouble, server issues etc. But when im told I must wait around the quake stand for almost the entire day to find out when my next match is... thats just unacceptable.. at a stage I just left to check out the expo and luckly one of my friends heard my name being called and decided to call me.

2) No sound on the big screen? Cmon guys... the stands were full, the people wanted to watch and we dont have any sound for not even the big games.

3) ABSOLUTELY STUPID competitions taking place on stage during the games... Honestly, NOBODY wanted to listen to any of these ridiculous "spethal" talents that people were putting on show to win a prize during Detrony vs. Ph4ntom (2 of the top players in South Africa)

4) Tournament Structure... This is probably just because of my personal experience, but when I get put against Spart1e (2nd Best player in the world, came over from Sweden for the competition) in round 3 and its single elimination, thats a load of BS! Half way through the competition I get told that its going to be a double elimination, which would have been awesome but never happened... I got to play against 2 noobs and then Spart1e and then I was eliminated, To me this is crap but as I say this is probably my own personal gripe.

5) During everysingle game the tournament guy exited the game (which all the spectators are watching) to adjust his amazing excel spreadsheet which is managing the competition... Could they not have a laptop separate to do this? Could they not have a program to manage the competition (which would include maps etc.) ? This was all on the big screen yes. http://www.pantheongaming.co.za/files/q3_a77_stage.jpg <--- awesome for spectators

6) L1nkje (One of our international Quake player guests) Only got to play his first game at about 2 oClock on Saturday afternoon... He was very upset about this because he had no time to warmup and was quite frankly bored waiting to play and nobody could tell him when.

7) Power went out TWICE on saturday, only at the Quake stage while people were playing... How is it that the only stage that goes out is the Quake one?
I didnt stay for the sunday to watch the semi-finals etc. But can you imagine if Ph4tom is playing Spart1e and Ph4ntom is winning and the power goes out... What then? Restart the map and try again Ph4ntom.

When I arrived on friday night for the OpenLAN and I could see the big Quake stage I was geniunely excited... But from the first minute I got there I could see it was amateur hour and my point was proven within the first hour. The most embarrassing part was speaking to the guys from Sweden and they agreed when I said that this whole thing was pathetic. We are always looking to be put on the map in terms of competitive gaming but with an event like this, I can honestly say its never going to happen.

Hosting a competition is not an easy job, I understand that... But if they can get it right overseas then we should be able to aswell.

</vent>

Last edited:

poffle

Executive Member
lol, that sounds like the usual organization in SA comps. Pity to hear as quake is the best game to spectate and with such quality players on show you would expect it to be up to standards.

Keeper

Honorary Master
that's err......that's not good

Especially point 5 - I mean there are thousands of PC's around ?!

saffakanera

Expert Member
I was there, wasnt bad, enjoyed it alot with my gf, Go Shase! :)

Well done to Phantom!

nihilist

Expert Member
Sheesh, that's disgusting.

I'm a huge Q3 fanboy, haven't played a lan of it in ages but do botmatch fairly often.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd try start my own competitive lan event, get sponsors, small prizes and work it up into a big event.

St3baS

OP, Why didnt you bitch like this to the Arena77 guys yesterday?

I didnt bitch, I tried to help... getting the sound working etc. Basically I got told to go away and if i blew their sound then there would be trouble..

nihilist said:
Sheesh, that's disgusting.

I'm a huge Q3 fanboy, haven't played a lan of it in ages but do botmatch fairly often.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd try start my own competitive lan event, get sponsors, small prizes and work it up into a big event.

I honestly dont have the time or money to start my own event nor is there the community to do it.... 64 players registered for this quake comp and Im honestly not sure how many pitched but there were ALOT of wins by "byes".

Keeper

Honorary Master

So if he was disappointed at the Sexpo, he should start his own sex shop?

doesn't make any sense man....

trust me, there are enough LAN's already.

hoegh

Expert Member
seeing all this negative stuff is definitely making think twice about the road trip i was planning for next years event, just seems like there is really not enough to warrant it

St3baS

seeing all this negative stuff is definitely making think twice about the road trip i was planning for next years event, just seems like there is really not enough to warrant it

dont get me wrong hoegh.. the expo was alright and the lan was lots of fun... I just expected sooo much more from this competition... Ive always looked forward to anything quake or painkiller... games like that, honestly people dont even realise how good some of the guys are at these games. I just wanted this to be an example to South Africans that havent played the game on this level to appreciate how much talent the top players have but alas... epic fail.