Rain 5G - home network not accessible remotely

LLKeel

I got my Rain 5G 2 weeks ago. I connected my Wifi router (ASUS ac88u) to the CPE, and set the CPE IP Passthrough. Works like a charm.
The only issue I do have, is that the public IP they assign is a 10.*.*.*, suggesting we sitting behind a ISP NAT and they do not assign public IP's.
I have my security system and my CCTV NVR connected to the internet, accessible on an mobile App. I use NO-IP for the DDNS service, and I have the necessary port forwarding set up on the router. This worked fine on Telkom LTE before I got Rain 5G, but on Rain I cannot connect to my home network remotely at all.
I contacted them, and their response was "We do not currently support remote access, and we do not know if we ever will"

Has anybody else using Rain 5G been able to access their network remotely?

McGuywer

Executive Member
That is correct, no remote access.
If you have a cloud VM, you can create a ssh tunnel and then port forward that way.
But it is not practical for your average home user.

LLKeel

Thank you McGuwer.
:crying:

Frogfoot is busy with fiber in my area, expected live date in a month or 2. If they do support remote access I will seriously consider moving to them. Initially I was gonna go with fiber, but then I saw the Rain 5G ad. My best speed with Rain 5G is 620Mbps down. it is currently averaging +- 300Mbps down, and 70Mbps up.
When fiber goes live here it will won't be an easy decision to make, but I really need to be able to connect to and monitor my home security when I am not there.

At least I have another month or 2 to decide.

Apogee

I got my Rain 5G 2 weeks ago. I connected my Wifi router (ASUS ac88u) to the CPE, and set the CPE IP Passthrough. Works like a charm.
The only issue I do have, is that the public IP they assign is a 10.*.*.*, suggesting we sitting behind a ISP NAT and they do not assign public IP's.
I have my security system and my CCTV NVR connected to the internet, accessible on an mobile App. I use NO-IP for the DDNS service, and I have the necessary port forwarding set up on the router. This worked fine on Telkom LTE before I got Rain 5G, but on Rain I cannot connect to my home network remotely at all.
I contacted them, and their response was "We do not currently support remote access, and we do not know if we ever will"

Thanks, was not aware of this.

I have this identical setup on VDSL.

Will then hold off from moving to Rain 5G.

https://dyn.com/blog/is-4g-ddns-possible/

Jimmy

Would it be possible to Teamviewer into a pc on your home network then access your cameras from there?

carnagelan

If you have a hikvision dvr use hikconnect. Doesnt need port forwarding or router setups on that. If you need help let me know.

grimleaper

Got my 5G today. In an area which according to RAIN is not covered.
Signal strength excellent (-55dBm) 628Mbps down 60Mbps up.
But my PLEX server lives on this network. Cannot access it from outside the LAN.
Assume it is the same issue (ISP NAT) as remote access, even though PLEX Pass has its own tunneling protocol??
Should have done my home work I suppose.
Going to miss that throughput speed ... :(

grimleaper

Well the benefits of doing some homework never cease to amaze...
Not really wanting to give up on that through put and go back to soul numbing 100Mbps (how fast times change)
Good news/Bad news
Found Plex had something called relay which is basically tunneling servers...Good news
Very complex to configure... bad news
It works .... Good news
but only up to 2Mbps .... bad news (especially if all your media is HD which of course mine is)

Then lots more searching found ZEROTIER ... GREAT NEWS
Nothing simpler or quicker and pretty secure.

https://www.zerotier.com/
I have it on my media network now and works great.
Can run on Windows, Android, Mac, Linux and more
Is free (private use, Open Source) and end to end encrypted

grimleaper

I am able to remote access from my Rain 5G using ZeroTier to sites on Fibre and DSL in ZAF and USA.
you should be able to do your thing on ZeroTier as well.
Let me know if you nedd help in setting it up.

Cyprio

There are workarounds i can see my home cameras perfectly on my cell wherever i am...no problem....i USE Rain 5 G
you are going about it the wrong way...

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
There are workarounds i can see my home cameras perfectly on my cell wherever i am...no problem....i USE Rain 5 G
you are going about it the wrong way...
Why dont you rather tell us about your amazing solution?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Windscribe or other VPN with a static IP and port forwarding setup will you around this.

As long as you have something that can dial the Windscribe VPN from inside your network and setup the link you can then use the Static IP and port forward to access it from outside.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Why dont you rather tell us about your amazing solution?
I agree.

@Cyprio Why don't you state your solution?
There are plenty of options, posting more information would certainly help other people choosing which solution would work best for them.

Apogee

Just watched a company battle with this exact scenario for an installation of CCTV today.

Their techs were baffled that it worked fine on Telkom LTE, but no go on Rain 5G.

Last edited:

Apogee

Found the same thing with a Rain LTE connection.

They are definitely using CGN.

You cannot expose any service on your LAN to the Internet like you can with a fixed-line connection.

I also have Wyzecams , which works fine on Rain, but they are not dependent on an internal web server on your LAN like most CCTV DVRs use.

The solution seems to be using a service like ngrok, combined with DDNS.

https://ngrok.com/

Was finally able to access to access the web server this way.

Last edited:

nad_isa

Hi. I am considering getting rain 5g as I see now it's available in my area. Either this or vumareach fibre who are trenching in my area.

I stumbled across this thread and As my luck would have it rain 5G has the above issue and vumareach are locking down their routers so one cannot go in bridged mode or access router settings for portfowarding or DMZ settings etc.

So in the rain case it would be CGN not sure what that is but essentially an ISP NAT and in the vumareach case it would be double NAT as I cannot work around the router solution from Vumareach.

I currently use hikvision cameras using the hiconnect app (via adsl). My plans were to move to my own VPN setup where I can VPN into my cameras and access my home network (home automation, servers etc).

I'm not to clued up on how these Zerotier/NGRok services could help overcome my issues? Can anyone explain how these services work? Sorry I'm not very good at networking and these issues...

nad_isa

Hi

Bumping this thread as I took out the 5G product.

How would setting up a VPS assist with CGNAT / Double NAT and has anyone tried it.

I am looking into a Blueiris/ngrok setup for my hikvision NVR.

but interested to know how one will address something like online gaming issues that are picky with NAT types etc.

I did a tracert and see it hops through two private addresses (10.x.x.x) before going outside. I'm by no means a network expert so don't know what this means.