Rain 5G: My Experience & Network Setup

StephOsK

yes the fibre deal is just too good to pass on at the moment. Yes looking at various options, just reseach at the moment. most likely do it in stages. but yes you can get lost in it all. need to keep your head straight lol
I wish I could join you on that mate but the area where I stay in Pretoria is not covered by any fiber provider currently sadly.
I will keep waiting though because my daily usage is mostly latency sensitive so having higher ping at the moment really affects me.
I really do hope they fix it soon!
But congrats on your fiber deal man, happy for you!

nad_isa

An admission that it has been abnormal for weeks? You can't return to normal without being broken in the first place.

Yes, in this case Rain did provide feedback that work was happening on the Cape Town core and traffic was being diverted causing possible increases in ping. they did say it would normalise which in this case it did.

I cannot comment on other areas though.

nad_isa

Put it high enough and protect the entire neighbourhood from lightning damage.
lol but on a serious note - i saw on a video if one were to put on a pole dont put it at the top of the pole - leave some distance so if lightning strikes it doesnt hit the CPE directly. how helpful this actually is i dont know..

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
lol but on a serious note - i saw on a video if one were to put on a pole dont put it at the top of the pole - leave some distance so if lightning strikes it doesnt hit the CPE directly. how helpful this actually is i dont know..
Without earthing the mast properly and assuming POE power fed, the whole thing plus any equipment connected to the same POE power feed will be melted plastic.

nad_isa

Without earthing the mast properly and assuming POE power fed, the whole thing plus any equipment connected to the same POE power feed will be melted plastic.

Eish - okay...guess its more of a problem up north in the heiveld than here in the cape..

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So my Rain router arrived today. After fibre outages I got gatvol and got us this as a backup.

It's pretty ****.
In the right spot it gets 150mbps down a d 20 up. For the most part it's either 30-80 doen and 2-10 up.

So it's an expensive backup but yes: thank **** for fibre 99% of the time.

powermzii

Expert Member
So my Rain router arrived today. After fibre outages I got gatvol and got us this as a backup.

It's pretty ****.
In the right spot it gets 150mbps down a d 20 up. For the most part it's either 30-80 doen and 2-10 up.

Indoors I presume? You may get better luck mounting it outside or doing the myriad of antennne what what that we've all been through...

As a backup though yeah it seems to do the job. I've been able to get 300down

nad_isa

It's pretty ****.

That was my stats indoors. Post your signal stats. Outdoors should improve and trying the antennae settings

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Indoors I presume? You may get better luck mounting it outside or doing the myriad of antennne what what that we've all been through...

As a backup though yeah it seems to do the job. I've been able to get 300down
Tried it outside in one viable spot and was worse. Only needs to last 3-4 months so not too bothered.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I see you guys mention antenna settings. I'll give the thread a read through and see what your are on about :)

nad_isa

I wish I could get speeds like that when rain 5G comes to Durban, I literally jumped of my seat when I saw that speedtest result, awesome guy, good for you, wow

people experiences varies greatly. some people start off with a great experience and degrades over time. mostly in gauteng. from i can see experiences in cpt have been positive. for the price and potential speeds it is a good option. depends on your usage - you have higher latency than fibre so depends on the use case.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
people experiences varies greatly. some people start off with a great experience and degrades over time. mostly in gauteng. from i can see experiences in cpt have been positive. for the price and potential speeds it is a good option. depends on your usage - you have higher latency than fibre so depends on the use case.

CPT and Durban should have very good international latencies. JHB and internal places in the country will be slightly worse. There is no technical (from the physics point of view) reason why it should vary as much as it does.

The reason is disgustingly poor routing algorithms, badly set up routers and too many routes and devices involved. Some routes used have indadquate capacity. The fallback routes are not properly sized and configured, which means congestion cannot be handled properly.

nad_isa

CPT and Durban should have very good international latencies. JHB and internal places in the country will be slightly worse. There is no technical (from the physics point of view) reason why it should vary as much as it does.

The reason is disgustingly poor routing algorithms, badly set up routers and too many routes and devices involved. Some routes used have indadquate capacity. The fallback routes are not properly sized and configured, which means congestion cannot be handled properly.

strange yes why experiences vary so much but like you say there are reasons. cpt also only been live a few months so time will tell as adoption increases. what im interested in seeing is how quality will be affected by the proliferation of 5g mobile devices over the next few years. can the network handle it and maintain the service offerings?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
strange yes why experiences vary so much but like you say there are reasons. cpt also only been live a few months so time will tell as adoption increases. what im interested in seeing is how quality will be affected by the proliferation of 5g mobile devices over the next few years. can the network handle it and maintain the service offerings?
Not if the operators (just about all of them) totally review the current network planning rules and get rid of their hang ups and what they think is "best practice".

nad_isa

Not if the operators (just about all of them) totally review the current network planning rules and get rid of their hang ups and what they think is "best practice".

have any of the 1st world network operaters been able to maintain the initial network speeds/quality - bearing in mind 5g hasnt really been around globally either..