Rain 5G uncertainty

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rain 5G uncertainty

Rain previously said it was planning to launch commercial 5G products in September, but there is now uncertainty about the company’s 5G launch.

In February, Rain launched its 5G network in Johannesburg using Huawei’s equipment, including its core network, bearer network, and base station systems.

Swa

Honorary Master
So what? Will it be a week or two late? Few months? Waiting for devices?

Do they have to be this vague when they have a running network?

ItherNiT

They might be having some trouble with ICASA, or the spectrum. I just hope they don't fully cancel the uncapped off-peak accounts. I'm saving a crap load of money using them instead of Vodacrap for data on my phone.

Swa

Honorary Master
"fibre-like speeds" oh this horse s**t again. Didn't work the first time you said it, did it?
I don't know. Plenty of people are getting better speeds on LTE than on fibre. Fibre providers really haven't stepped up their game.

Thor

Honorary Master
Won't happen, like I said.

If it does happen it won't be 5G, it will be 4G rebranded,

Let me be clear, RAIN will not deploy 5G 24–86 GHz. Rain will deploy LTE 600 MHz to 6 GHz and brand it as a 5th generation network.

Swa

Honorary Master
Won't happen, like I said.

If it does happen it won't be 5G, it will be 4G rebranded,

Let me be clear, RAIN will not deploy 5G 24–86 GHz. Rain will deploy LTE 600 MHz to 6 GHz and brand it as a 5th generation network.
You realise 5G doesn't have to use 24-86GHz?

Stevewarren

"fibre-like speeds" oh this horse s**t again. Didn't work the first time you said it, did it?
Well many people have fibre speeds slower than LTE.
Yes fibre has a higher maximum but if there 5g delivers on average over 100mbps download and sub 15ms ping then I would have no problem with them marketing it as a fibre like service.

The real issue is the price of data on 5g compared to fibre in my opinion.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
What else can they use in SA the 6GhZ< spectrum ?
The 3GPP release candidate for 5G includes sub 6GHz spectrum. The key in this respect is the NR or New Radio technology.

Mybb discussed the spectrum last year already : https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-5g-network-hits-250mbps-download-speeds.html

There they mention the 3.6GHz spectrum. From my own research, that is by far the most common launch band for 5G in 2018-2019, partly because the mm wave spectrum details are still being sorted by the ITU in November.

5G target specifications (IMT2020) specifically talk about a 'fibre like' experience.

My own view is that LTE can provide a competitive experience to fibre but the necessary spectrum must first be released to make that feasible

Stevewarren

What 5G pricing information are you looking at, out of interest?
Not looking at any because there aren't any local ones announced yet. My point though is it will probably be the big differentiator between the two technologies but I don't know.

I should of wrote depends on what the price will be.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Not looking at any because there aren't any local ones announced yet. My point though is it will probably be the big differentiator between the two technologies but I don't know.

I should of wrote depends on what the price will be.
Yes, it will be interesting to see, especially around the larger bundle sizes, and considering the popularity of uncapped on fibre