Rain launches commercial 5G network

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rain launches commercial 5G network

Rain has launched its commercial 5G network in South Africa, the company announced in partnership with Huawei.

The announcement was made at MWC 2019, where the companies said South Africa is one of the first countries in the world to launch 5G.

eg2505

Honorary Master
but but but, will it have signal at my house?
and will it be constantly throttled?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
PE must be the easiest city to cover in 5G, yet isn't mentioned at all. Damnit Rain.

genetic

Honorary Master
This is great news, now I just need a 5G capable device.

newby_investor

Expert Member
OnePlus 7 will almost certainly support 5G. OnePlus is at Mobile World Congress right now showing off their 5G tech.
I'm a bit behind on this but is there a well-defined 5G standard? So if you buy a device marked "5G" will it be certain to work with Rain's new network?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm a bit behind on this but is there a well-defined 5G standard? So if you buy a device marked "5G" will it be certain to work with Rain's new network?

I'm not sure, and it's a good question. It's just one additional reason to get the OnePlus 7 in my eyes though. They support almost all bands and make a real effort to push the envelope. Not a chance their 5G will be a watered down version.

Geselskap

Why the use of "Commercial"? I'm assuming it means the initial infrastructure & network service will be for business use strictly, rather than retail.

genetic

Honorary Master
Why the use of "Commercial"? I'm assuming it means the initial infrastructure & network service will be for business use strictly, rather than retail.

The term commercial means general public.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
700Mbps divided by 100 users = 7 Mbps peak per user. Still useless compared to fibre.

Joseph matane

So the coverage map will be live after mobile products launch for now is just advertising thing but is good news for SA am guessing Huawei 5G CPE will launch around May/June mo SA

genetic

Honorary Master
700Mbps divided by 100 users = 7 Mbps peak per user. Still useless compared to fibre.

Using that logic... the current 4G 70Mbps divided by 100 users = 0.7 Mbps peak per user. Still 10x faster.

DXL

Expert Member
We welcome the faster Speeds and RAIN adding 50 Gigs of "Peak Data" to utilize the HighSpeedNetwork to the R250 Off Peak Package.

Surely this will be a Game changer for Vodacon & Emptyn.

But the guys are buying capacity on the RAIN network so that scares me. This may affect competition negatively.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
We welcome the faster Speeds and RAIN adding 50 Gigs of "Peak Data" to utilize the HighSpeedNetwork to the R250 Off Peak Package.

Surely this will be a Game changer for Vodacon & Emptyn.

But the guys are buying capacity on the RAIN network so that scares me. This may affect competition negatively.
I'll take R10 a gig peak time even.