Rain LTE & OpenVPN

animehero

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Has anyone successfully gotten an OpenVPN server running on Rain LTE?
Not sure if it should be in this forum or Networking,but its specifically on Rain's network

I seem to be battling to connect and rain support doesn't know what im talking about

My current setup -
DDNS from no-ip.org setup
B315 modem with the firewall disabled, I dont have any port forwarding on there.
I've setup pivpn with the standard udp port 1194, configured client access details.

When it tried to connect,it seems my ip address with the port number (probably from the config files)
I then get a TLS Error : TLS Key negotiation failed
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

I've tried a few different things like using TCP + port 943 to no avail

Any advice or an I chasing smoke?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
My work uses a device for internet and vpn called SOPHOS. That client is based off open VPN ( even leverages their dll from what I've seen ), and their software works on Rain. TLS means the security handshake failed, are you sure your endpoints are secured correctly? Not maybe using a self signed cert and the software is unhappy?

Stick fiddler on your pc and check the packets.

animehero

Expert Member
My work uses a device for internet and vpn called SOPHOS. That client is based off open VPN ( even leverages their dll from what I've seen ), and their software works on Rain. TLS means the security handshake failed, are you sure your endpoints are secured correctly? Not maybe using a self signed cert and the software is unhappy?

Stick fiddler on your pc and check the packets.
Thanks man. I saw a similar thread mentioning another user was having this issue with rain as well.
I'll test it on a different network,if i have the same issue it would be something in my config that isnt right

warwickw

Expert Member
B315 modem with the firewall disabled, I dont have any port forwarding on there.
Sounds like you running the VPN server behind the RAIN unit, if so you need to port forward the port on the LTE unit to the pivpn server.

Sounds like you running the VPN server behind the RAIN unit, if so you need to port forward the port on the LTE unit to the pivpn server.
Will have a look when I get home this evening.

Im not too familiar with this modem, pulled up some screenshots of the settings available

1.JPG

Would I be incorrect in assuming the WAN port and LAN port would be 1194 with the UDP protocol if that's how it was setup on pivpn, where the lan IP address would be that of the pi itself?

That WAN port part I'm not so sure about though

Then i use a tool like PFPortchecker to see if its working correctly?

Edit: previously tried to add the pi to the DMZ on this router but that didn't work either

Would I be incorrect in assuming the WAN port and LAN port would be 1194 with the UDP protocol if that's how it was setup on pivpn, where the lan IP address would be that of the pi itself?
For simplicity keep your external facing wan port and the internal lan ports the same, OpenVPN generally uses 1194/udp it can use others though.

Also make sure the pivpn server, can reach the internet and its default route is to the same LTE modem.

Something else to check as well, would that there isnt a security setting on the LTE modem that blocks your incoming connections.

As far as I know, rain does not have an unrestricted APN, thus blocking all incoming ports.

I had the same issue trying to allow traffic to my home media center server.

Yeah, with fixed LTE this may have worked but not mobile.

The other thing you could do is rent a VPS somewhere and do a remote port forward from your network. That might be slow but you should be able to get access.