Rain super slow in my area

James946

Hi there.

During the day I can't use rain at all, speeds go from 10mbps to not even being able to load google. At night I get from 20-30 megs per sec. What I was wondering is if I get like a antenna to boost signal, would the speed increase at all? I currently get 4 bars of signal so I dont really know. Support is telling me that there are no problems on their side so I guess its an issue on my side? Using a huawei b315

biometrics

Honorary Master
Your tower is likely oversubscribed. Has happened to may others. I used to get 40Mbps and nine months later it was 1 Mbps. So I stopped using them, it's not even worth R250/month.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Most likely contention. Are there any businesses close by in your area ? I have the same issue that after 5 pm my Rain internet works a hell of lot better.

James946

Quite a few actually, guess I need a different network to use during the day. Rain is by far the best uncapped network ive seen, most others have a fup of like 100 gigs and costs alot more. No fibre and adsl in my area so lte is my only option.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Most likely contention. Are there any businesses close by in your area ? I have the same issue that after 5 pm my Rain internet works a hell of lot better.
Ditto. Like 5 x better.

James946

Would you guys recommend any network with LTE and uncapped data which wont cost me an arm and a leg? Dont really wanna use those illegal/fraud types of providers

biometrics

Honorary Master
Could you link the package? On phone atm, wont be home til 9
It's called Smartbroadband Wireless: https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/home/plan/smartbroadband-wireless-lte-50gb-variation/

The product is named weirdly. For example Smartbroadband 50 GB is actually 100 GB anytime data and 100 GB midnight data. It's a 24 month contract but includes the router. That package is R755/month.

I recently dumped Rain and upgraded to Smartbroadband 100 GB (which is 200 GB anytime and 200 GB midnight data) and it was R304/month more, similar to the R250/month for Rain. Since I never did more than 100 GB/month with Rain it worked out fine for me.

James946

Thanks for the help guys. Will most likely get the smartbroadband 100gb deal, hopefully we get fiber available in my area soon. lte is expensive tbh. Fiber is wayyy better for everything

biometrics

Honorary Master
Thanks for the help guys. Will most likely get the smartbroadband 100gb deal, hopefully we get fiber available in my area soon. lte is expensive tbh. Fiber is wayyy better for everything
LTE prices and speed actually compare well with fibre.

I'm currently getting 60 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up. Another member, might be @cavedog, is getting closer to 200 Mbps down.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
No. LTE is not expensive.

James946

Of course.

R899/month isn't a bargain especially with the limits (speed and cap).

I just can't go back to 10 Mbps.
Yeah, thats more of a 3G speed
LTE prices and speed actually compare well with fibre.

I'm currently getting 60 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up. Another member, might be @cavedog, is getting closer to 200 Mbps down.
Holy, with those speeds how do you stay below the data cap, I would legit download the internet.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Yeah, thats more of a 3G speed

Holy, with those speeds how do you stay below the data cap, I would legit download the internet.
I don't download the internet. I just use it normally without restriction: for work during the day, streaming at nights, download the odd movie, play a game etc.

My usage is under 200 GB a month.