RAIN - Unlimited 4G 24/7 (Some Feedback)

Legacy

Hi,

After using the "unlimited 4G 24/7" package for about 2 months, I would like to share my experience with this package.

So far I am very happy with the download rate, it's definitely an upgrade from our 4Mbp/s ADSL line, I always get around 1,3MB/s download speeds and falls within the "up 10Mbp/s" specified in the package deal.

That being said, while using this package, there is one extreme annoyance I would like to voice my utter disgust with, that being, the quality that one is able to view on YouTube, Netflix, Twitch etc. in realtime. This isn't the 1960's... who in their right mind can stand to watch pixelated content at 360p on their 1080p+ monitors? You can't even download videos in a higher quality for later usage without severely impacting other users on the connection. As soon as another user plays a video, everyone is throttled so much, neither can view anything. The big irony in all of this? Being able to download over 1TB of files, but one can't even break 250GB in streaming usage like you could with an old 4Mbp/s ADSL connection while watching 720p... heck I doubt I can even break 100GB of usage while streaming 24/7 on RAIN.

Seriously, sort this usage problem out and you folks at RAIN will have a wonderful package at hand. Another thing, why doesn't RAIN have 4G+ packages? Considering the low availability of 5G?

Anyways, here is hoping we will all have a better experience in the near future and my feedback was of some help.

Be well.

jbroo

This is true, but they make this disclaimer quite clear in the notes on this package. The nature of the network, essentially a shared connection between many subscribers to one tower, means they could have nowhere near as many subscribers per tower if all of them were streaming at 1080p/2k/4k. The shared experience would also be degraded.

I do see your point about downloading though. Perhaps they can increase the limit to 1080p. I usually get 480p on Netflix, and that uses about 0.5mbps constantly, so perhaps there is room for an increase here.

Still, for R479pm considering it's uncapped, you get what you pay for (network issues aside).

Gudnews

Expert Member
I nearly upgraded because I had convinced myself that "up to 10Mbps" meant they'll automatically upgrade your line to meet that provision. I then had a moment and realised how misguided I was and that I wouldn't get an improvement on my 0.8Mbps average.