Rain Water Harvesting

James Cready

Good Day all
I am considering investing in a rainwater harvesting system currently (you know, ALL the rain we've been having is just going to waste :p). For the time being I want to keep it basic, just a tank connected to a gutter that catches the water. At the moment I am not looking at connecting a pump or anything, I mainly want to use it for irrigating the lawn and garden (with hose pipe as I do not have an irrigation system) during dry times, and for that, gravity will do the trick since I do not have a large garden and lawn.

I did look at the 700L "watercon collapsible rainwater tank", which will cost about R 1,110.00 plus a rainwater diverter on the gutter, which is another R 131.00. However I do not know what the quality of the tank is like.

Can anyone advise on the quality of such a system?

And any suggestions as to a good, yet affordable, system? Tank, pipes and diverter connected to the gutter etc. (I may consider one or two more in future, but for now just the one.). I am in Vereeniging, so dealers close by would be preferable.

Thanks in advance
James

MickeyD

RIP
I went for the 2200L JoJo tank.

I cast a concrete slab to raise it off the ground, linked it to my garage's gutter downpipe and used a stopcock with a hose connector for connecting a water hose.

Quick and simple.

James Cready

I went for the 2200L JoJo tank.

I cast a concrete slab to raise it off the ground, linked it to my garage's gutter downpipe and used a stopcock with a hose connector for connecting a water hose.

Quick and simple.
"Alright Johnny, but what about my money?" :D

What did it set you back? I would love a 2.2kl tank, but I don't have the space. Maximum I think I can go is 1kl, maybe 1.5kl at a push and that is just at the front. At the back of my place I can't go any bigger than 750kl.

MickeyD

RIP
"Alright Johnny, but what about my money?" :D

What did it set you back? I would love a 2.2kl tank, but I don't have the space. Maximum I think I can go is 1kl, maybe 1.5kl at a push and that is just at the front. At the back of my place I can't go any bigger than 750kl.
In total, with all fittings, slab, etc., about R2800.

MickeyD

RIP
Wow, that is good going! I won;t need a slab I think since I already have a slab where I want to put it. Where did you buy the tank and fittings from?
Builder's had a special on them.

And there was a massive jump in price between the 2200 and 2400L tanks :eek:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I'm keen to do this as well... Where did you get the tank?

How long does this tank last if full?

James Cready

Builder's had a special on them.

And there was a massive jump in price between the 2200 and 2400L tanks :eek:
Yes the prices are steep. There is a nice "JoJo Slimline" 750L tank, but for some reason they are more expensive than the bigger tanks.
See, the watercon collapsible tank is fairly inexpensive but I am concerned that it may not last long, so I want to try and find out.

MickeyD

RIP
Yes the prices are steep. There is a nice "JoJo Slimline" 750L tank, but for some reason they are more expensive than the bigger tanks.
See, the watercon collapsible tank is fairly inexpensive but I am concerned that it may not last long, so I want to try and find out.
Those slimlines are crazily expensive!

Mine will last about 15-20 years.

TheJman

Expert Member
Those slimlines are crazily expensive!

Mine will last about 15-20 years.
I wish the government incentivised things like this (I know, wishful thinking!). Been wanting to do this for years! Have a slate roof though, so no gutters to collect the water :/

Have you seen a drop in your waterbill out of interest?

MickeyD

RIP
I wish the government incentivised things like this (I know, wishful thinking!). Been wanting to do this for years! Have a slate roof though, so no gutters to collect the water :/

Have you seen a drop in your waterbill out of interest?
Not yet. Due to all the rain we have hardly had to water the grass or gardens.

But it did come in handy when the builders were here.

TheJman

Expert Member
Not yet. Due to all the rain we have hardly had to water the grass or gardens.

But it did come in handy when the builders were here.
any chance you could post some pics of your set up?? :)

biena

Executive Member
I can't go any bigger than 750kl.
bl**** h***

Wish I could go that big That is an aquarium not a tank!

Have a 5000l tank myself, 30mm of rain fills it up, but then I have 2 gutters feeding it.
Agpro tank bought on special for R1500, use it to water the veggies with.
Have seen a slight drop in my water bill.

Marakker

Rather invest in a grey water system if your circumstances allow for it.
That way, you have a permanent water source for irrigation.

I am saving anything between 1.5k and 2k a month on my water and sewerage bill.

thehuman

Expert Member
2 x 5000l small presure activated pump . Feeding while house . Municipal stop valve is closed . Last month water use was 0 :)

Attachments

TheJman

Expert Member
2 x 5000l small presure activated pump . Feeding while house . Municipal stop valve is closed . Last month water use was 0 :)
Looks awesome!! Question, do you have any issues with the water smelling or mozzies etc?

thehuman

Expert Member
Looks awesome!! Question, do you have any issues with the water smelling or mozzies etc?
No not really . Water tast better than municipal water . A friend did sponser me some filters . 2 x course . 1 x carbon filter . Need to clean filters filters the flow not great

James Cready

bl**** h***

Wish I could go that big That is an aquarium not a tank!

Have a 5000l tank myself, 30mm of rain fills it up, but then I have 2 gutters feeding it.
Agpro tank bought on special for R1500, use it to water the veggies with.
Have seen a slight drop in my water bill.
:D Supposed to say 750l not kl

James Cready

No not really . Water tast better than municipal water . A friend did sponser me some filters . 2 x course . 1 x carbon filter . Need to clean filters filters the flow not great
Do you have Red Water diverters on it as well, or do you only catch rainwater?