Reccomendation on good web ui coding courses or books

crudler

Hi,

I am a pretty decent back end web dev especially in asp.net webforms and mvc. Strong grasp of wcf as well.
The area I really fall short on is the client side ui. Graphic designer can make me a nice design, css etc but the client side UI is becoming more and more important. There is a wealth of clientside frameworks out there - Bootstrap, Backbone, AngularJS.

Can anyone who was in a similar position to me recommend a decent course to fastrack the process. Something with a .net flavor is ideal, but I'm flexible.

Thanks

shauntir

To be honest, I'm a developer as well. Not much into graphic design. However, I've bootstrap framework and it makes me look like a pro UI dev. Remember though, I do have a good understanding of CSS and HTML that allows me to use the framework as need be.

I just used w3 schools to learn all the "design" side of things as need be. Remember though, there is a difference between graphic design and web/interface design. For me, just creating little projects helped.

crudler

truethat. bit im not just talking about making a site look slick (bootstrap nice for that btw), I mean in terms of rich UX, and getting the most out of ajax to make a single page app as effective and interactive as possible.

like the very popular backbone todo example
http://documentcloud.github.io/backbone/examples/todos/index.html

is just one example of an interactive framework design.
but "you dont know what you dont know" so I am looking for a good UI overview that goes beyond the basics of what w3c have, and out of the scope of graphic design

btw have u seen how rich the atlassian interface is....?

Last edited:

shauntir

Ah, I see what you need. Plural Sight is my favourite place for getting up to speed with things quickly: courses.

The library is huge. Look under Javascript and you will find what you are looking for. Use the free 200 minutes trial to learn backbone js perhaps.

_kabal_

Expert Member
it's tough to find really good resources out there. these are new techs an people are still figuring out the best way to go about doing things.

the best is to look at all the options, and use what will work, for you and the project

I have been tasked to create a cross platform desktop application. things like silverlight dont really appeal to me, and the thought of writing java desktop or c++ apps (with respective code bases for windows and MacOS UIs) didnt really appeal to me.

we do have an abundance of good javascript developers, so that appealed to me.

I investigated most of the frameworks, angular.js, backbone.js, ember.js.
I was quite keen on backbone, but then I found ember.
I kept coming back to ember, I just like the way they do stuff.

ember (or your choice) + brackets shell = cross platform desktop (windows, mac, linux) for free

nothing in my post really helps you though :)

what did help me a lot was using yeoman, and its various generators. they setup boilerplate for you, but do it in best practices, so it helps to grasp how you might want to do things.