Recommend a vehicle for overlanding

Mister 45

Executive Member
I'm looking at options for an overlanding vehicle. I don't intend to do too hectic off-road trails and will only make a few modifications like AT tires, dual battery system, fridge and a rooftop tent later on, so no towing either. However, 4x4 with low-range is a must, diff-lock will be nice but not essential. The vehicle should also be usable for day-to-day travel when not on holiday.

I've had a look at the Hilux DCs as well as the 4x4 Fortuners but I am a little worried that fitting a rooftop tent to a Fortuner will make it so top-heavy it will fall over before I've even left the parking lot. What else can you guys recommend? Let's say budget is R500k (modifications not included) and it can be new or 2nd-hand.

Mister 45

Executive Member
FJ Cruiser if you can stomach the drinking problem.

That's a good suggestion, thanks.
I had a quick look on Autotrader and noticed a strange thing: There are only 3 available with MY >= 2014 and average mileage (between 40k and 100k). Mileage seems to be either very high or very low.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
What is reliability like on the Pajero?
No idea, but it's Japanese and my colleague has been driving his since forever, The second gen 3.2 DID, it still pulls like a train after all the kilometers he has put on it.

dillinger

What is reliability like on the Pajero?

Very reliable, obviously that has got to do with the proper maintenance as well.

I got the old 2.8 and it just keeps on going.

Some of them have center and back diff lock so makes them very capable off-road.

Naks

Executive Member
Defender ftw

Get yourself a non-kitted Puma 2.2 and then kit it out as you go along. Most people make the mistake of trying to buy a fully-kitted vehicle, and then realise after the first camping trip that it doesn't suit their camping style at all.

Start fresh, then slowly build it up

jdido87

Expert Member
I have been watching 4WD Action on Youtube rather a lot lately. I must say I am very impressed with the D-Max.

Moereloos

I would go for something simple (no fancy electronics) and that can run on low quality (500 ppm) diesel. Also, look for something that you can find spares for anywhere and that can be fixed with basic tools and a little knowledge.
If I were in your shoes, I would go for a late 80s or early 90s Land Cruiser diesel. Use what you save on the purchase price to have the engine, gearbox, diffs and suspension overhauled by a reputable company (SAC maybe?).

The Nissan Terrano II is also an option - very capable off-road with a self locking rear diff, good fuel economy and spares available everywhere.

aleksandar

Expert Member
I'm Defender bias :) but if you do lots of city driving Pajero gets my vote.

Generally I prefer station wagon to bakkie type vehicle.

Mister 45

Executive Member
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

How do you guys rate the VW Amarok? I see they are using them in the series of "Voetspore" I'm watching atm.

DarkSt0rm

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

How do you guys rate the VW Amarok? I see they are using them in the series of "Voetspore" I'm watching atm.
The newer the car, the more electronics, the more that will eventually go wrong. Also depends where you are going to go adventuring, but generally Toyota's are the easiest and most supported where one would typically go over landing (ie the bush).
An older Toyota Land Cruiser is never a bad bet, and not many mods are needed.
Alternatively, a good jeep wrangler can make for a fun 'weekend adventure' car if you aren't going into the depths of Africa, as they really aren't well supported outside of ZA in my experience...

Mister 45

Executive Member
Defender ftw

Get yourself a non-kitted Puma 2.2 and then kit it out as you go along. Most people make the mistake of trying to buy a fully-kitted vehicle, and then realise after the first camping trip that it doesn't suit their camping style at all.

Start fresh, then slowly build it up

I'm a little worried about the Defender's reliability with Land Rover having a bit of a... uhm... reputation.
I do agree 100% with you on the "kit it out as you go along" part, though. Best to customise to your own needs rather than adjusting to the whims of the previous owner.