Recommend ADSL Router bye bye IBurst

Shayd

Expert Member
Ok guys, I am dumping IBurst and upgrading to ADSL, I need recommendations on a wireless N standard ADSL2 router. I want the N and ADSL2 cause I don't wanna be buying another router in 6 months. Any brands you guys can recommend and where I can buy it. I am looking at R2000 as the absolute ceiling.

Pada

Executive Member
Do you have anything in mind that the router has to do, besides having Wireless N & ADSL2+ capabilities?
Like it should be able to do half-bridging (aka PPPoE Passthrough), QoS, Gigabit router, etc?

Usually Billion, Netgear, Linksys & Asus are making quite decent routers. I think you'll struggle to get any Wireless N ADSL router for less than R1400 - you may prove me wrong since I haven't looked for prices recently.

Shayd

Expert Member
Please explain PPPoe Passthrough to me?, QoS would be nice, Gigabit is meaningless to me as all PC's bar one connected via wireless.

Gekco

Expert Member
I'll try to assist with my limited knowledge but this is the way I understand it:

With half-bridging you can set up a connection on your router which by default all machines connected to the router will use.
You can also set an additional PPPoe connection on a specific PC to 'dial' in with different credentials to another ISP.

In essence you can then have more than one connection running simultaneously.

This is particularly useful if you have accounts with more than 1 ISP.
Eg. you may have an uncapped or high cap 384 account with one ISP which you primarily use for downloading, and perhaps another high speed account which you typically use for browsing or gaming with another ISP.

It can also be used to split local and international traffic.

Pada

Executive Member
Without PPPoE Passthrough, your router would dial 1 PPPoE account itself, but it won't allow any PC or network device connected to it to dial additional PPPoE accounts.

The reason why you want to dial more than 1 would be to do traffic splitting. The usual traffic splitting method involves 1 account with international cap & another with local cap. The traffic splitting script/application would then route all the local traffic through the cheap local only account and the international traffic through the international account.
Other traffic splitting stuff involves like unshaped accounts and routes to specific servers, like when you buy a quite expensive unshaped account simply to be used for playing WoW on overseas servers.

Alternatively, multiple accounts can also be used to allow different people to share the same ADSL line while having their own accounts. Using this method, you would actually want to put the router in bridging mode, otherwise the people could just stop dialing their own accounts and use the one dialed by the router. In bridging mode, it will always allow PPPoE passthrough - even the cheapest routers would.