Recommend me a compact SUV - Budget under R180K

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
24,558
Reaction score
16,229
Location
Jo'burg
As the title suggests, I am in the market for a second-hand compact SUV under R180K. I know it isn't much to work with, but that is what I can do.

The ones piquing my interest are the -
  • Mazda CX-3 2.0 (Fuel consumption will be a question mark as I have to deal with the N3 daily)
  • Ford EcoSport 1.5 petrol or 1.5 TDCI (I am well aware that the 1.0T is dogsh*t, but how are the 1.5s?)
  • Nissan Magnite 1.0T (More at the extreme end of my budget as pickings are slim sub-180k)
  • Opel Crossland 1.2 (It looks fat, so I'm not sure how a little NA 1.2 fares)
  • Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.5 (Like the Magnite, closer to the extreme end of my budget with slim pickings)
I'm weary of the many budget Renault SUVs as well as the Chinese brands.

Any suggestions? Anything I may have missed?
 
The Crossland is a 1.2 Turbo and fares quite well and is pretty economical. Decent automatic too.

They are also very well equipped more so on the higher end models.

My sister bought one some six months ago and has been a very happy camper.

When we did test drives the Magnite and Urban Cruiser were Indian plastic **** I would never get into again.

Personally avoid Ford due to my own past experiences, but also hear about more and more issues from the Ecosports as they get a bit older.

Have a look on Fuelly for the real world fuel stats of all of them. I’ve never driven the Mazda but it looks good and is always getting rated.
 
The Suzuki Vitara Brezza is basically the old-model Urban Cruiser with a Suzuki badge on.

A small SUV is never going to be a great option, because it’s compromised on power. For the optimal balance of excellent fuel economy and interior kit, see if you can find a Suzuki Baleno in that price range instead. Well worth you giving it a try!
 
The Crossland is a 1.2 Turbo and fares quite well and is pretty economical. Decent automatic too.

They are also very well equipped more so on the higher end models.

My sister bought one some six months ago and has been a very happy camper.

When we did test drives the Magnite and Urban Cruiser were Indian plastic **** I would never get into again.

Personally avoid Ford due to my own past experiences, but also hear about more and more issues from the Ecosports as they get a bit older.

Have a look on Fuelly for the real world fuel stats of all of them. I’ve never driven the Mazda but it looks good and is always getting rated.
Only trouble is that Opel is now Peugeot and if you ever need the non wear and tear parts, you will be waiting months..
 
I'd go for the Mazda as they are solid cars or the Toyota. I don't know the Crossland so I can't comment on that.
I had an Ecosport TDCI and while it's a great choice when it comes to consumption, their brakes are dogs**t and they tend to give issues as they get older.

Edit: While I hate French cars, the Duster is also a good choice. I've heard a lot of good things about them over the last few years.
 
Only trouble is that Opel is now Peugeot and if you ever need the non wear and tear parts, you will be waiting months..

Opel is very much well and alive in SA and the change in ownership upstream doesn’t matter much on the ground.

I keep hearing this waiting for months story yet know plenty of people with Opels and it’s just not a thing.
 
  • Mazda CX-3 2.0 (Fuel consumption will be a question mark as I have to deal with the N3 daily) Spares of critical parts an issue (airbags etc)
  • Ford EcoSport 1.5 petrol or 1.5 TDCI (I am well aware that the 1.0T is dogsh*t, but how are the 1.5s?) Don't just don't they are unreliable and engines are cr@p
  • Nissan Magnite 1.0T (More at the extreme end of my budget as pickings are slim sub-180k)
  • Opel Crossland 1.2 (It looks fat, so I'm not sure how a little NA 1.2 fares)
  • Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.5 (Like the Magnite, closer to the extreme end of my budget with slim pickings) Urban Cruiser is one of the ugliest cars around but hey it's a good old Toyota
 
[*]Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.5 (Like the Magnite, closer to the extreme end of my budget with slim pickings) Urban Cruiser is one of the ugliest cars around but hey it's a good old Toyota
[/LIST]

It’s not a Toyota.

It’s a rebadged Indian piece of **** that isn’t allowed in most first world markets.
 
Opel is very much well and alive in SA and the change in ownership upstream doesn’t matter much on the ground.

I keep hearing this waiting for months story yet know plenty of people with Opels and it’s just not a thing.
It's more than a change of ownership.. Opel is now a rebadged Peugeot..
 
It's more than a change of ownership.. Opel is now a rebadged Peugeot..

Yes I know this, what I’m saying is that doesn’t really make much of any difference to our local supply channels.

If anything it improves them.
 
I'm curious, what requirement makes a compact-suv mandatory?
 
Don't touch anything that fords makes :p
As the title suggests, I am in the market for a second-hand compact SUV under R180K. I know it isn't much to work with, but that is what I can do.

The ones piquing my interest are the -
  • Mazda CX-3 2.0 (Fuel consumption will be a question mark as I have to deal with the N3 daily)
  • Ford EcoSport 1.5 petrol or 1.5 TDCI (I am well aware that the 1.0T is dogsh*t, but how are the 1.5s?)
  • Nissan Magnite 1.0T (More at the extreme end of my budget as pickings are slim sub-180k)
  • Opel Crossland 1.2 (It looks fat, so I'm not sure how a little NA 1.2 fares)
  • Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.5 (Like the Magnite, closer to the extreme end of my budget with slim pickings)
I'm weary of the many budget Renault SUVs as well as the Chinese brands.

Any suggestions? Anything I may have missed?
  • Mazda CX-3 2.0 (Fuel consumption will be a question mark as I have to deal with the N3 daily)
  • They very good would push for this
  • Ford EcoSport 1.5 petrol or 1.5 TDCI (I am well aware that the 1.0T is dogsh*t, but how are the 1.5s?)
  • Any ford is dog crap.
  • Nissan Magnite 1.0T (More at the extreme end of my budget as pickings are slim sub-180k)
  • I doubt find one, at price point
  • Opel Crossland 1.2 (It looks fat, so I'm not sure how a little NA 1.2 fares)
  • 1.2 is pap, the turbo pot is pretty good
  • Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.5 (Like the Magnite, closer to the extreme end of my budget with slim pickings)
  • Don't think you find one in budget?

Real winner is BMW x3/X1 2.0D!
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X