Recommendations on 30 meter ethernet cable

Dill

So I need to run a 30m ethernet cable from the ONT. Any recommendations on a good cable or where I can get the cable for a fairly decent price?

The ones on Takealot have ok reviews but some complaints that the cable quality is not good

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Any cheap kak should work for 30 metres
When you get close to 100 metres I would buy really really good stuff

Brawler

Honorary Master
I usually go to a local computer shop and ask them to make me one to the exact length. Have not had any problems. Not 30m though, more like 10m but with cat6 it should not be a problem.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I have a few LAN cables around that length on our property, to connect IP cameras, secondary WiFi routers, etc. and I went for CAT5E solid copper shielded cabling which is expensive but I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I got a 100m CAT6 cable from takealot. Works perfectly.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Just make sure it's Cat6 certified and a known brand, but as suggested, always better to go to a professional cabling firm rather than your off the shelf stuff. Also double check that it's properly crimped on both ends (which a professional outfit should do properly, but you never know!):

Code:
||||||||
The colours aren't as important as the pairs - so 1 and 2 are a pair, 3 and 6 are a pair, 4 and 5 are a pair and 7 and 8 are a pair.

Matt91

Expert Member
China Mall my charna. 70 bux for the 50m one, I bought for my CCTV system last year:thumbsup:

Little Mac

Honorary Master
China Mall my charna. 70 bux for the 50m one, I bought for my CCTV system last year:thumbsup:
This is probably why there are so many "why is my speed test not going above 100mbps when I have a 200mbps - 1gbps connection" threads

Messugga

Honorary Master
Not sure about the obsession with CAT6 for gigabit uses, considering it's not the cheapest cable. CAT5e is rated for gigabit at 100m so that'll easily do the job at 30m.
With that said, if you don't care about cost or the price difference is minimal, nothing wrong with going CAT6.

rh1

Expert Member
I would recommend the flat lan cable, it is easier to glue and look very neat.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not sure about the obsession with CAT6 for gigabit uses, considering it's not the cheapest cable. CAT5e is rated for gigabit at 100m so that'll easily do the job at 30m.
With that said, if you don't care about cost or the price difference is minimal, nothing wrong with going CAT6.
This, 5e is cheaper and under 100m it will be perfectly fine. I've got a mix of 6 and 5 and honestly haven't seen any speed drops.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
CAT5e can do that easily. You're more likely to struggle with switching capacity than have issues in the cabling side.
I'm well aware. I was responding to Matt91 who was responding to this:

Messugga

Honorary Master
I'm well aware. I was responding to Matt91 who was responding to this:
Right right, I'm with you. Just a bit slow to catch up.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
The ones on Takealot have ok reviews but some complaints that the cable quality is not good

Over the weekend, I was cursing. A circumstance has arisen where I have work from home so I moved my entire setup here. The WiFi doesn't reach my bedroom lekker (which is where I installed my office) so I figured since it is a temporary arrangement, I will just order from TAL.

I got this one:

It was perfectly fine. But come the weekend, and my office network is dead. I just ran that cable from the router side of my house outside in the garden to my office. I planned to have one of the kids put it up in the eaves but did not get round to it yet. Come the weekend, and the cursing, and I discover it is slightly severed. Suspects include the dog, a rat, people stumbling around and the garden service. But that doesn't matter. What matters is the cable has barely been used and now it is broken. The break was really close to the router side (about 4m) so I figured I would just crimp new ends.

What a mission! IT's ribbon cable so it is quite flimsy and I ended up having to use a multimeter to figure out the layout.