• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Recovering debt

Hi - I have a client who owes me a considerable amount of money from her wedding. They paid some of the costs towards her wedding and after lots of excuses and stories, the balance of payment was promised to be paid in cash the day before the wedding. The money wasn't forthcoming and on the day of the wedding i had no option but to let the 300 guests in - they would have destroyed the property if we tried to stop them. I have taken responsibility for their debts and I have paid all their suppliers. I have done the legal route and obtained judgement against the client. We have established that she has very few assets so I would like to look intp debt collectors - I think this may be more successful than trying to attach her assets. I am worried that it might cost me even more in the long run. Anyone who has experience with debt colectors - please can you give me your advice. Thanks

Thanks - the total debt including the initial debt, lawyer's fees and interest is about R220 000.00. It is very scary and has affected my small business in a huge way so I need to do whatever I can to recover the debt.

beans100

Executive Member
Sorry to hear, hope you come right. Jissis, that's a lot of money. I'm probably going on hind sight and on the Captain obvious list for this, but you should've probably have gotten some kind of surety or deposit before hand.

Visser

Expert Member
Hi - I have a client who owes me a considerable amount of money from her wedding. They paid some of the costs towards her wedding and after lots of excuses and stories, the balance of payment was promised to be paid in cash the day before the wedding. The money wasn't forthcoming and on the day of the wedding i had no option but to let the 300 guests in - they would have destroyed the property if we tried to stop them. I have taken responsibility for their debts and I have paid all their suppliers. I have done the legal route and obtained judgement against the client. We have established that she has very few assets so I would like to look intp debt collectors - I think this may be more successful than trying to attach her assets. I am worried that it might cost me even more in the long run. Anyone who has experience with debt colectors - please can you give me your advice. Thanks
Not much you can do. Leave the judgment, as this will prevent them from getting any further debt in future for the next 10 years. Closer to the time, do the necessary and try to recover your debt. If they still do not pay, get another judgment, which will block them for another 10 years.

Forget debt collectors. It will cost you a lot of money and there is nothing they can do more than what you already did. Unless, you are referring to the 'bone breakers, who goes out and hurt them physically until they pay the debt. Problem is, if they do not have money, you can have them hurt as much as you want, you will still not get your money back and still have to pay those people who did the 'job' for you.

At the end of the day, write this off for now and consider it a lesson learnt.

I have worked with my suppliers for the past 4 years and have had a very good relationship with them. I sourced the suppliers on behalf of the client and most of the debt was to the venue for the food. None of my suppliers expected me to carry the cost but I would never have been able to not pay them. I had to make the call to go ahead with the wedding - it was actually too late to cancel it because all the food had been purchased and the client promised me that they only needed two days and they would pay in full. I have been in this business for 15 years and never have I experienced the lies, stories and deceit - they planned their wedding in 6 weeks so time was against us right from the start. They were unbelievably convincing and blamed so much on the bank with funds not being released etc etc. Lesson learnt but I have to recover the money.

Not much you can do. Leave the judgment, as this will prevent them from getting any further debt in future for the next 10 years. Closer to the time, do the necessary and try to recover your debt. If they still do not pay, get another judgment, which will block them for another 10 years.

Forget debt collectors. It will cost you a lot of money and there is nothing they can do more than what you already did. Unless, you are referring to the 'bone breakers, who goes out and hurt them physically until they pay the debt. Problem is, if they do not have money, you can have them hurt as much as you want, you will still not get your money back and still have to pay those people who did the 'job' for you.

At the end of the day, write this off for now and consider it a lesson learnt.

Thanks - I have been thinking that it is better to carry on with the legal route but it is so frustrating and drawn out - two years down the line, I am still waiting! The client is a lawyer and knows exactly how to fight the system. Breaking bones just isn't what I am capable of :).

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Thanks - I have been thinking that it is better to carry on with the legal route but it is so frustrating and drawn out - two years down the line, I am still waiting! The client is a lawyer and knows exactly how to fight the system. Breaking bones just isn't what I am capable of :).
Report them to the local law society as unethical.

Visser

Expert Member
If there are not sufficient properties or assets to attach, stop the legal route in total. You will just end up with a massive legal bill and still with no money.

Like I said, you already have a judgment and this will limit them economically whenever they need urgent access to loans, etc. You will be surprised, albeit in 5, 6, 7 or even 10 years how quickly they will come with money when they see they have no more access to credit, loans, accounts, etc.

In addition, like Kosmik said, if he is an attorney, report the incident to the Bar society.

Nate3268

Name and shame these @ssholes, people have no diginty anymore.

lumeer

That's terrible, Rebecca. I hope you get the money back. It's basically theft because they misled you knowing full well they weren't going to pay.

Ecco

Executive Member
The client is a lawyer and having issues paying their debts - boggles the mind, because these sharks charge a fortune for doing nothing.

Report them to the local law society as unethical.
Yes I will do that - the scary part is that she has her own law practice so I am sure has a trust fund so I will definitely report her to the law society - they need to know what she is capable of.
If there are not sufficient properties or assets to attach, stop the legal route in total. You will just end up with a massive legal bill and still with no money.

Like I said, you already have a judgment and this will limit them economically whenever they need urgent access to loans, etc. You will be surprised, albeit in 5, 6, 7 or even 10 years how quickly they will come with money when they see they have no more access to credit, loans, accounts, etc.

In addition, like Kosmik said, if he is an attorney, report the incident to the Bar society.
Thank for the advice - I really do appreciate it. Our final step is attach her immovable assets and take it from there.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Yes I will do that - the scary part is that she has her own law practice so I am sure has a trust fund so I will definitely report her to the law society - they need to know what she is capable of.
Thank for the advice - I really do appreciate it. Our final step is attach her immovable assets and take it from there.
Name and shame, I would never want to use her services.

That's terrible, Rebecca. I hope you get the money back. It's basically theft because they misled you knowing full well they weren't going to pay.
Thanks - I will keep trying. Our last step might be to sequestrate her so she can no longer practice as an attorney. It will cost me quite a lot to do but it will stop her stealing then it is worth it.

gamer16

Expert Member
If the client is a lawyer why not make her actions public in such a way that it is highlighted to her clientele and or employer? I'm not saying tarnish her name but yeah make it difficult for her.