Regular network disconnections

psainsbury

Regularly, my "internet dies" for a few minutes. My local wifi is fine, I can talk to my router, but the router cannot get out to the Afrihost network. It’s been ongoing for months and Afrihost can’t seem to fix it.

I’ve been through the regular support processes, I’ve done traceroutes, I’ve restarted my router and cpe devices more times than I can count, and still it keeps happening. I am pretty sure this didn’t happen at all with my previous ISP in the same complex.

Does anyone else have similar issues? Or any advice on how to get this resolved with Afrihost?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
That does not sound correct. Who is the fibre network provider?

Old_Liver

Sounds like the same issues I'm experiencing with Metrofibre / Afrihost.
I'm holding out until the issues with Metrofibre are resolved.

EDIT: Not sure if it actually did anything as my disconnects were never consistent, but changing the MTU on the router to 1460 seems to have at the very least reduced them.

psainsbury

My issues have been going on for longer than the current “Metrofibre” issues on their site. I’m actually quite tempted to move back to my old ISP.

psainsbury

It’s not just international, but local, and been happening for 4 months or more.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
It’s not just international, but local, and been happening for 4 months or more.
Did you have us log faults before?

I want us to gather some info like trace routes and speedtests so I can compile those into the fault and see what feedback MFN give us.

It would be great if you can get those with time and date when they occurred and then we can take it from there.

psainsbury

Did you have us log faults before?
Yes - multiple times. I've sent trace routes, speed tests, etc. All through your whatsapp support line. Since 19th February this year. Is there any way for you to find those requests in your system and use the information I've given there?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Yes - multiple times. I've sent trace routes, speed tests, etc. All through your whatsapp support line. Since 19th February this year. Is there any way for you to find those requests in your system and use the information I've given there?
Yes I can do that. Do you mind sending me your clientzone email so I can locate any tickets logged before with us regarding this issue

Sorry to hijack your thread @psainsbury

Mine just died now again. I spoke too soon.
Line completely down?

Old_Liver

Line completely down?
Line not completely down, just no internet connectivity.
Came back about 5 minutes after posting this.
This is my general experiences twice a day.

Weirdly enough, happened to me last night too, I was on Discord in a CSGO match.
Discord lost connection, however CSGO remained connected although with a constant 360ms ping as opposed to the usual 5 or so. This carried on for about 5 minutes too.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Line not completely down, just no internet connectivity.
Came back about 5 minutes after posting this.
This is my general experiences twice a day.

Weirdly enough, happened to me last night too, I was on Discord in a CSGO match.
Discord lost connection, however CSGO remained connected although with a constant 360ms ping as opposed to the usual 5 or so. This carried on for about 5 minutes too.
Yes last night around the time I posted there was a dip in international.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Was there a dip again tonight? Local CSGO game spiking to 360ms again at exactly 22:59.
None that I'm aware of. If it happens again can you maybe just try to get a trace route so we can see where the happened.