[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

Speedster

Honorary Master
Well done on developing this! I'm just curious what the expected use case would be, seeing as DSTV is available on Android TV as well as most smart TVs already

Damac10

Well done on developing this! I'm just curious what the expected use case would be, seeing as DSTV is available on Android TV as well as most smart TVs already
Depends if it works on any android device vs app which only works on selected devices...keep up good work mate

PDF_27

Could it also avoid the geo location? The DStv now app is geo locked to SA ip addresses, so this could be the workaround without having to purchase a VPN into SA.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Depends if it works on any android device vs app which only works on selected devices...keep up good work mate
Yup, the android device has to be Google certified for the newer versions of DStv now

My question is : how does the device register on your DStv account as one of the devices? They only allow 4 per account

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Could it also avoid the geo location? The DStv now app is geo locked to SA ip addresses, so this could be the workaround without having to purchase a VPN into SA.
I doubt it. it would stream directly from DStv to your device , so the request would be based on your IP address

PDF_27

Would be rather pointless if it only works on certified devices, as the app itself would work on its own.

Dave

Honorary Master
Yup, the android device has to be Google certified for the newer versions of DStv now

My question is : how does the device register on your DStv account as one of the devices? They only allow 4 per account

If you’d just clicked on the link you’d see the OP is using it in New Zealand and it uses 1 slot...

PDF_27

If you’d just clicked on the link you’d see the OP is using it in New Zealand and it uses 1 slot...
I did open the link and I did notice it was a New Zealand domain, but assuming that they are using it in New Zealand doesn't answer whether a VPN is required or if this is the workaround, thus my question to the OP. DStv now can be accessed worldwide with the use of a VPN into SA.

PDF_27

I've read through the comments on his page and according to him it doesn't require a VPN he says... As for it working on only certified boxes or not, only one way to find out and that's testing on an uncertified box and reporting back

PDF_27

Tried to test it on an uncertified box. Installed Kodi 18 Leia Beta, installed the DStv now add-on but once you select a channel it plays audio for 5 seconds without any picture, and freezes. Tried several channels and settings changes to no avail. Hopefully it can get figured out.

Damac10

Tried to test it on an uncertified box. Installed Kodi 18 Leia Beta, installed the DStv now add-on but once you select a channel it plays audio for 5 seconds without any picture, and freezes. Tried several channels and settings changes to no avail. Hopefully it can get figured out.
Check settings. In one of his addons has install widevine option. Try playing after. If it works thats awesome

PDF_27

Check settings. In one of his addons has install widevine option. Try playing after. If it works thats awesome
When I tried the add-on with Kodi 17, the widevine error occurred. After I installed Kodi 18 and installed the add-on, it automatically gives u a list of all the dependencies it's going to install... He states "My add-ons that require Widevine will automatically attempt to install the required dependencies the first time content is played." Will try looking again later.

Last edited:

PDF_27

Ok got it working. Just went through all the settings again and reset to default. Restarted Kodi and it's working, although it buffers a bit and loses audio but not picture. After a few minutes none of the channels work. Very buggy at this point but definitely a step in the right direction

Speedster

Honorary Master
Ok got it working. Just went through all the settings again and reset to default. Restarted Kodi and it's working, although it buffers a bit and loses audio but not picture. After a few minutes none of the channels work. Very buggy at this point but definitely a step in the right direction
What hardware are you using?

PDF_27

What hardware are you using?
Uncertified box, mediamate by Baobab. Had it in storage so decided to test that add-on since the DStv now app stopped working on it when certification came into effect. I have a Mibox and Litbox but no point testing the add-on on those devices since they certified, however, should I emigrate then it would be worthwhile to test on them via the add-on.

Drummer365

View attachment 558039

Hi All,

Here is my add-on I have just released for DStv Now.
A DStv Connect login / subscription is required.

Currently only supports Live Channels.
On Demand coming soon (hopefully).

Instructions for installation can be found on my blog (no ads).
https://www.matthuisman.nz/2018/09/dstv-now-kodi-add-on.html

Enjoy!

Hi firstly let me say well done on developing something that a lot of people will appreciate. I installed the add on but unfortunately I am still on Kodi 17 (RASP PI) and I see in order to run your addon you need to have Kodi 18. I am a bit nervous to over write my Kodi 17 with a beta version 18. Is the the latest developement build stable. If it is then I will go ahead and try it.