Remove rust from a potjie?

I've send my potjie to a company in Johannesburg, and they coated it for me, haven't had a problem since; Almost like my own Bauer potjie now...haven't had a rust problem in the 5 years that I've had my potjie! :D

ponder

Honorary Master
I've send my potjie to a company in Johannesburg, and they coated it for me, haven't had a problem since; Almost like my own Bauer potjie now...haven't had a rust problem in the 5 years that I've had my potjie! :D
Ag no man, what you gonna coat next, your braai grid? :D

You need to hand in your man card asap! :p

You need to season the pot.

Apply a film of cooking oil. Place the pot in a very hot oven for at least 20 mins. Remove and carefully wipe down with a clean cloth. Reapply oil, bake again, wipe again. Repeat the process until the cloth used for wiping down after baking remains clean.

A good idea is to store your pot with a half a cup or so of dry uncooked rice in it. This will prevent rusting.

_kabal_

Expert Member
Do not wash cast iron pots with abrasive and soap. You just remove the coating and are left with bare cast iron, which rusts instantly.

Reset ****ed pot to new:
Scrub with soapy water and goldilocks. Remove all food and oil.
Dry, rust will appear, doesn't matter.
Hand sand/drill attachment until acceptable.
Rinse in hot water to remove all sanding residue.
Dry and heat (in preheated oven or gas burner)
Coat inside well but very lightly in hi smoke point oil, eg canola. There should be no oil visible.
Put in oven, upside down, on highest setting for 30 minutes.
Repeat above 2 steps 4 times.

Through the magic of science you will now have an extremely stable, durable and nonstick surface.

After use, rinse with warm water and cloth, dry immediately. Do not store with oil coating, this is now unnessesary and messy

jones0055

Evapo-Rust

I have neglected my potjie a bit, so it got all orange on the inside bottom from rust. I have used it a few times before. I proceeded to scrub it with hot water and soap using steel wool and a hard brush. Got off most of it but there are still a few spots that wont get off. It looks clean but every time I rinse it and scrub some more, the water in the potjie turns dark. Can I use Coke or something, or should I not worry if there isn't real obvious rust left?
There is a product now available in SA called Evapo-Rust that will clean up the potjie for you. It is water based so safe for food items - check out www.evapo-rust.co.za

jxharding

Expert Member
Necro thread - what do i call this specific coating please? I want to phone around and ask in CT where I can get this done on a brand new pot.

To prevent your pot from rusting again.

After cleaning it, throw in about 1/2 cup flour/maize meal. It removes the moisture.