Retrenchment process begins at SAA

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Retrenchment process begins at SAA

The business rescue practitioners (BRPs) of South African Airways (SAA) have announced that they will begin consultations with employees under Section 189 and 189A of the Labour Relations Act.

Notices of the consultation were issued to all the recognised unions in SAA for employees and management, and the BRPs have been engaging with unions in relation to this process.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
If you only take saa the airline and exclude technical, mango, airchefs etc etc it's 107 per plane, if you take all the staff the figure almost doubles.
I was expecting the fake news number. Was looking forward to an evening of tug-o-war. :p

garp

Executive Member
With Corona absolutely farking up global air travel SAA is truly and utterly hosed. RIP...
Yip, even well run, relatively efficient airlines are struggling. I can’t see how SAA will survive if the situation worsens here and there are travel bans to/from/inside SA. Heck, I couldn’t see how it would survive anyway - this will be the final nail unless government just keeps on giving them blank cheques.

ponder

Honorary Master
I was expecting the fake news number. Was looking forward to an evening of tug-o-war. :p
Ah, the 55k staff making it 900 odd per plane. That will probably start making the rounds again soon enough...

Reactions: ES1

Voicy

Honorary Master
Obligatory Cosatu riots incoming in 3..2..1...

Reactions: ES1