Reverse Image Search for gurus and Barry Roux

Rizzler

Anyone read the News24 story about exposing the Twitter user behind the @advbarryroux account? They say they used a partial image (about 1/20th of the top part of the image) and it miraculously gave then the full image as well as other images of the same person (facial recognition?). Anyone know of commercially available software that actually works that will do that? I don't.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Anyone read the News24 story about exposing the Twitter user behind the @advbarryroux account? They say they used a partial image (about 1/20th of the top part of the image) and it miraculously gave then the full image as well as other images of the same person (facial recognition?). Anyone know of commercially available software that actually works that will do that? I don't.
What image?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They say they used the partial image to find the full image (which wasn't on the web btw!) and the search also returned other photos of the same man!
That is not how they ‘looked up’ the picture. The partial image, do you have the original source?

Rizzler

That is not how they ‘looked up’ the picture. The partial image, do you have the original source?
Nope. I'm just trying to figure out how it's possible. Reverse image searches use a SHA256 hash value generated from the binary code in the image. It will never find the complete photo as the hash values will be different, never mind other photos of the same guy!

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
So they 'found' a picture of some dude. What proof is there that that is actually the dude? Other than their magic search? Because TBH I find it really weird that some random Zambian would give a hoot what happens in SA.

skimread

Executive Member
AFAIK they found him as he commented a lot on the original Oscar case. I find google image search couple of years worked OK but now its rather inaccurate with all the social media sites privacy and blocking it.

Rizzler

gamer16

Expert Member
Yeah, in Chrome, right click on any image and click search google for image, works wonders.

Rizzler

Yeah, in Chrome, right click on any image and click search google for image, works wonders.
Doesn't work for partial images. You'll never find the full image by putting a part of the image into Google image search. The digital signatures that the algorithm relies on will be totally different.

gamer16

Expert Member
Doesn't work for partial images. You'll never find the full image by putting a part of the image into Google image search. The digital signatures that the algorithm relies on will be totally different.
Allrighty then.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I just did it with a Justin Bieber pic, returned the original back as one of the results.

maumau

Honorary Master
They say they used the partial image to find the full image (which wasn't on the web btw!) and the search also returned other photos of the same man!
Is this the one they say they found? Looks pretty accurate.