RICA declared inconsistent with the Constitution

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
RICA declared inconsistent with the Constitution

The South Gauteng High Court has found that parts of the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-Related Information (RICA) Act are unconstitutional.

In April 2017, media group amaBhungane filed an application in the High Court challenging the constitutionality of the act.

[BusinessTech]

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Don't Acts of Parliament get vetted by lawyer types before they are presented to Parliament? I mean, I can understand that the law is often vague, but it does seem to happen often.

The government seems to lose many cases based on the unconstitutionality of various laws

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
So what happens now? Apologies if in the article. I dont click on them.

Milano

Honorary Master
Don't Acts of Parliament get vetted by lawyer types before they are presented to Parliament? I mean, I can understand that the law is often vague, but it does seem to happen often.

The government seems to lose many cases based on the unconstitutionality of various laws
Only true in a scenario in which the governing party actually respects the constitution.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
oh any degree of rolling back of the surveillance state is good. next step ... fingerprinting and the assumption that all citizens should be treated like criminals in order to get ID.

Removing ALL personal identification from the census next year would also be good. You do NOT need to know WHO I am if you are merely collecting population data. However if you are NOT collecting generalized data then of course you want to match all that information to a particular person.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
that already happens
yes and in light of parts of RICA being declared unconstitutional I'm arguing there are other things that need to go the same way.

ID / personal information on censorship forms.

Fingerprints for ID books and driver's license including renewal etc.

the 501 ways you have to verify who and where you are.

the proliferation of spy (ahem sorry 'security') cameras

Bhabs

I can go to any spaza shop and give them wrong information without anyone verifying. This Riva thing has been unconstitutional since day one.

Matt91

yes and in light of parts of RICA being declared unconstitutional I'm arguing there are other things that need to go the same way.

ID / personal information on censorship forms.

Fingerprints for ID books and driver's license including renewal etc.

the 501 ways you have to verify who and where you are.

the proliferation of spy (ahem sorry 'security') cameras
I dunno if I would agree with you on some of these points - considering the amount of identity theft we have in SA I think some of these issues you are pointing out regarding IDs are also there for your own protection, wouldn't be so fun if it were dead easy for a bad guy to steal your whole life because your bank statement was mis-mailed to the wrong address.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
End to surveillance abuse, a pipe dream, will just drive it further underground.
This. The govt will find ways and means of doing surveillance on its citizens. If one avenue is closed, they'll explore another avenue, and use it.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I dunno if I would agree with you on some of these points - considering the amount of identity theft we have in SA I think some of these issues you are pointing out regarding IDs are also there for your own protection, wouldn't be so fun if it were dead easy for a bad guy to steal your whole life because your bank statement was mis-mailed to the wrong address.
Explain to me very nicely how you having to prove with ten types of paper where you live is going to prevent someone messing up the delivery of your bank statement? Or for that matter prevent identity theft? None of those measures are for you, that is the huge fat lie they tell you to get you to agree to it. Carefully worded of course so that you have no come back when you realise that when they say, 'it is for security' that they do not mean for your safety.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Clearly RICA doesn't work. The ease with which you can buy a pre-rica'd sim card just shows how a stupid law is simply disregarded. This ruling doesn't go far enough. The entire RICA bill needs to be repealed, not just parts of it modified.