RIP Windows 7

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
RIP Windows 7

Support for Windows 7 ended on 14 January 2020, meaning that Microsoft will no longer provide technical support, software updates, and security fixes for the operating system.

“While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware,” said Microsoft.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Just install Start10 https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/ and it's the same difference.
I don't really see the need anymore, can remove all the icon group stuff for a while now.

I own Start10 as well btw, used to use it up until about a year ago about, when moving to a new machine I didn't reinstall, haven't really missed it as my main reason used to be the way better search, MS has caught up (once you disable that atrocious web search).

Bobbin

Executive Member
I really think it seems irresponsible to imply the win 7 to win 10 upgrade is free, and a lot of tech journalist sources are doing this. Technically it may put one in an illegal position. Read the EULA, activation does not mean your copy is legal.

Why does it still activate then you might ask? My speculation - it's the subscription model and legal upgrade path of W7 to W10 Enterprise. During that procedure you need W10 Pro activated to enable your W10 Enterprise subscription. And as long as you carry the Enterprise subscription you won't be flagged in audit.

Is MS ever going to formally state their position on the "free upgrade"? I doubt they have to... the offer expired 2016. There is no "free" offer currently. And until they do, these "free upgrade" statements are creating a lot of uncertainty and ambiguity on a topic that involves a lot of money for businesses. And just because you might be referring to the home user segment doesn't make it any less illegal.

Last edited:

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I run VS2008 in WinXp, Win7, VS2017 in Win7 and Win10. Also Office 2007/2016 in 7/10.

I am broken over how the UI candy overtake the important stuff, performance. Flat design is very fatiguing in my experience, it adds a few extra 100ms per operation. The dumbing down in Office. The utter waste of large modern screens in order to present a minimalist dumb UI. A heck of other things as well.

Sometimes I go to VS2008/XP on my VMs, will continue to misuse 7 licencing that way as well to allow for pausing and resuming VMs.

Swa

Honorary Master
Another Windows article with inaccurate information to boot.

milomak

Honorary Master
i truly don't understand what it is people don't like about win10

i say that as someone who spends 99% of my ime at home on some version of linux

ichigo

Executive Member
Windows 10 is the future no point is wasting time supporting old OS and rather put that effort into the current ones.

Still can't believe some companies still use Windows XP and Vista still.

ichigo

Executive Member
If it aint broke....
I actually preferred windows 2000 over both of them, only problem is the program support when trying to help customers and the speed of these old OS on their pcs they won't upgrade :ROFL:

gamer16

Honorary Master
I actually preferred windows 2000 over both of them, only problem is the program support when trying to help customers and the speed of these old OS on their pcs they won't upgrade :ROFL:
I still have it, and XP, and & in VM's for nostalgia reasons, I like to boot them up and play around for a few minutes as it tends to bring back good memories, like 4x4 EVO 2, damn that was good.

Swa

Honorary Master
Linux is the future no point is wasting time supporting old OS and rather put that effort into the current ones.

Still can't believe some companies still use Windows still.
ftfy

grok

Honorary Master
Obligatory I'm still running Win7 just fine comment.
They can try take it out my cold dead hands.

/continues loading bullets in the magazines while re-checking the barricades..

wizardofid

Executive Member
Windows 10 is malware...
ag shampies......

Same people crawling out of the woodwork to moan and complain...... sounds about right.
Good luck on your future windows 7 endeavors, may the ramsomwares and viruses, bring you a swift and painless end....