Root or not to Root...

<LieBieS>

Specific to the HTC Desire HD :)

I want to get a collaboration of Root techniques, ROM'S Custom Skins, Themes, APK`s ...

HTC Desire HD
Android 2.2.1
Revolution HD 2.0.7 by mike1986
Smarta$$ clocked 1.2GHz
Kernel 2.6.32.27

Anthrax Theme by VirusROM

Last edited:

<LieBieS>

Android Revolution HD

by mike1986

What do you need?

- HTC Desire HD S-OFF ---> [GUIDE] How to root Desire HD (DHD) install h-boot (S-Off) and Clockwork recovery
- Radio S-OFF in order to flash new radio ---> [TOOL][VIDEO] One click Radio S-OFF, SimUnlock (Easy Root Guide)
- Recovery ClockworkMod (only official 2.5.1.3 version!)

PLEASE READ THE F.A.Q. DOWN THIS POST !!!

About Android Revolution HD:
  • Base: official Froyo 2.2.1 based on official HTC update 1.72.405.3
  • New kernel: 2.6.32.28
  • This is improved version of stock ROM
  • OC CPU up to 1.22GHz - you need SetCPU from here: SetCPU - without SetCPU CPU will be set to default 1Ghz. Remember to check "Set on Boot".
  • Default kernel also available in .zip file. Details in the second post.
  • GPU+ patch
  • ROOT (SU + SuperUser Permissions)
  • Unsecured boot.img
  • Busybox
  • RAM optimization
  • Speed optimization
  • Very fast & Stable
  • All build-in apps updated
  • Cleaned from unnecessary trash
  • Multilanguage (WWE)
  • Zipaligned
  • Deodexed
  • init.d scripts (busybox run-parts) support
  • Nano text editor and sysro/sysrw support
  • WiFi module improved drivers
  • Excellent battery life
  • EXT4 support
  • CIFS support
  • A lot of themes made exclusivity for my ROM and extras like Advanced Power Menu or Transparent Notification-Bar in the second post
  • ROM is Adds-free. It means you don't need any extra software to get rid of adds
  • You can use your custom boot animation and replace original the stock HTC boot animation. Just replace bootanimation.zip in data/local
  • Support almost 24h a day

Removed from ROM:
  • Amazon MP3
  • SoundHound
  • GSD
  • FieldTest
  • Much bloatware
Updated stock apps:
  • Adobe Reader 10.0.0
  • YouTube 2.1.6
  • Google Maps 5.0.0
  • Facebook 1.5.0
  • Adobe Flash Player 10.1.106.16
  • Android Market 2.2.11
  • Voice Search 2.1.1
  • Gmail 2.3.2

Known issues: No issues!

<LieBieS>

F.A.Q.

Q 1: After flashing Android Revolution HD my battery drains much faster. What can I do?
A: Please boot your device in ClockworkMod Recovery and go to advanced ---> Wipe Battery Stats. Also see Question 7.

Q 2: My Premium Navigation doesn't work correctly. What should I do?
A: Your Premium Navigation may not work correctly for number of reasons. Most of them are not ROM related. You can try following things:
- reinstalling Locations under Settings ---> Locations
- removing from your SD card /sdcard/.data/navigator/Data/Temporary
- re-downloading maps
- clearing data from Google Maps

Q 3: When my phone is plugged with a cable and I want to go to hboot then it always takes me directly to recovery. Why is that?
A: This is a common issue with ClockworkMod recovery. Please unplug your cable and try again.

Q 4: After I reboot my device, mp3 ring-tone is gone and the default ring-tone is set. What should I do?
A: Go to Ringtones > Menu > More Ringtones > Create new ringtone > Select the one you want (thx to kill4l for this tip)

Q 5: When I watch YouTube video in landscape mode and press "Back" button my phone got lags and I need to reboot. What can I do?
A: Please pause the video before pressing "Back" button. This is a common issue with a custom kernel. Not everyone have it, it's a lottery.

Q 6: After flashing Android Revolution HD my SD card is being mounted as ready only. What should I do?
A: Connect your SD card to your PC and do defragmentation process. If you still have some problems with SD card please read this
Mac users can use the repair function of the MacOS disk utility to solve the read only problem (thx to Calimero1205 for this tip).

Q 7: My CPU load is all the time nearly 100% and in most part it's used by system. What is the reason of that high CPU usage and how can I fix it?
A: Delete your htcsense.com account. It's a peace of junk. Takes A LOT of your battery and CPU usage.

Q 8: Do I need to wipe data partition when upgrading from old version of Android Revolution HD to new one?
A: I always recommend wiping data partition but it's absolutely necessary only if I mention that in the changelog. But normally you can live without it. Wipe data partition if you experience some issues.

Q 9: I have some strange issues with my ROM that nobody reported before. What should I do in first place?
A: In first place you should check if the MD5 Checksum is correct. Then flash ROM again and see if the issue is gone. A lot of strage issues can be solved this way.
If you still have some issue then you can use "Fix permissions" in Rom Manager or ClockworkMod Recovery. But use it wisely and only in you are sure of what you are doing!

Q 10: I had SetCPU installed on Android Revolution HD and I upgraded ROM to newer version without wiping data partition. SetCPU is not working correctly any more! What's wrong?
A: Please reinstall SetCPU.

Q 11: I can't send/receive MMS or I can't connect with mobile data connection. How can I fix it?
A: Please check your MMS or mobile data connection APN's settings.

Q 12: My phone got random freezes or reboots. How can I fix it?
A: Every CPU is different (the same as with x86 CPU) It seems that your CPU doesn't like OC or UV (undervolt). Try to set in SetCPU max value to 1Ghz. If it doesn't help, then you need to flash default kernel from the second post.

All credit goes to Mike1986

Last edited:

<LieBieS>

Ive played around with the LeeDroid 1.4.1 for the HD with little success. It was quite buggy, hung on restarts apps forced to close. Successfully installed the radio 12.28e.60.140fU_26.04.02.17_M2. Thus inproving battery performance as well as WiFi and GSM reception.
Appz include:
  • AnTutu review
  • ES File Explorer
  • Folder Organizer
  • Iphone Top
  • Iron Sight
  • Linpack
  • My Backup Root
  • Market Enabler
  • Screenshot
  • SetCPU
  • Zedge
:)

sarfaraaz

ROOOOOOT!! It unlocks your phone to many, many, many exciting things.. (kernels, custom roms, build.prop file etc etc etc etc) :)

Good luck.

<LieBieS>

What i don't get is how it takes a small team to develop a Stock Rom and one guy do develop a Killer one!!!

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
And the overclocking? Within safe limits? What's the CPU temp looking like?

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Clocked mine to 1.2Ghz with the min @ 1.2GHz. temp stays around 31

Thanks! Have downloaded Revolution HD and will give it a go a little later. So exciting!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
So whats the difference between the radios? What do they actually do.

I'm planning on Rooting my DHD whenever MTN decides they have stock to sell me one.