Rooted phone, what now

They're really nowhere near as advanced as Avast, which can protect your phone even if a new rom is flashed (i think) after it is stolen. And the firewall! THE FIREWALL!

I tried the Samsung app but it really doesn't hold a candle to the more extensive apps...

You're firewalled in most cases when using cellular data or your own wifi. Granted on corporate or public networks you may not be.

In two minds about this, mmm ...
 
You're firewalled in most cases when using cellular data or your own wifi. Granted on corporate or public networks you may not be.

In two minds about this, mmm ...

No no. There is a firewall option that allows you to firewall certain applications. So you can select which application uses data, and what data it can use (wifi, mobile), or block data from an app entirely. It's saved me, I'd fathom a guess, at a few hundre MBs already since I installed it and went through to see which app had been using what data and when. You'd be surprised how many of these apps are using data. Sure beats switching off background data entirely imo...
 
No no. There is a firewall option that allows you to firewall certain applications. So you can select which application uses data, and what data it can use (wifi, mobile), or block data from an app entirely. It's saved me, I'd fathom a guess, at a few hundre MBs already since I installed it and went through to see which app had been using what data and when. You'd be surprised how many of these apps are using data. Sure beats switching off background data entirely imo...

Being a geek normally I'd jump at this, but getting old and a bit tech jaded ... so I just turn off mobile data when not in use (on the iPhone deal I never needed to).
 
Being a geek normally I'd jump at this, but getting old and a bit tech jaded ... so I just turn off mobile data when not in use (on the iPhone deal I never needed to).

My sis had an iphone and went through hundreds of rands worth of airtime every few days because of the bloody thing. Couldn't find an app like Avast for it to switch off data for certain apps. Had to pay just to see what apps were using what. So she sold it. Piece of schit in any case imo...:D
 
I find background data use to be minimal, as long as you limit app updates to manual or wifi only. Several 10MB+ apps sommer updating themselves ripped through my meagre data bundle a few times. :(
 
My sis had an iphone and went through hundreds of rands worth of airtime every few days because of the bloody thing. Couldn't find an app like Avast for it to switch off data for certain apps. Had to pay just to see what apps were using what. So she sold it. Piece of schit in any case imo...:D

Perhaps she was not on a contract deal. On my 120s deal you could see on the itemised billing zero rated connections every few minutes. Always thought that was the lost-my-phone updates.
 
My sis had an iphone and went through hundreds of rands worth of airtime every few days because of the bloody thing. Couldn't find an app like Avast for it to switch off data for certain apps. Had to pay just to see what apps were using what. So she sold it. Piece of schit in any case imo...:D
I know of colleagues who got bills of R5000 to R8000 because of background data and Autosync on their contract smartphones. A very harsh lesson.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X