Rooting MyWigo phone (MTK6582)

berghie

Bought a MyWigo Excite 3 a few months back.

Device looked great on paper, but the ROM just let's it down.
Aside from the random Spanish, the device can't install new apps as the Google Apps says there is insufficient space.
The SD Card shows gigs and gigs of free space under device info and I can store pictures on phone and external memory, but no matter what I tick in the settings for using SD card or internal memory for apps, no dice.

The manufacturer didn't get back to my request for help and I haven't bothered with Esquire as I value my time, so I am now considering installing a new ROM.

If anyone has rooted a MTK6582 device, please could you share the process followed?

xbmcfan

Aside from the random Spanish, the device can't install new apps as the Google Apps says there is insufficient space.
The SD Card shows gigs and gigs of free space under device info and I can store pictures on phone and external memory, but no matter what I tick in the settings for using SD card or internal memory for apps, no dice.

The manufacturer didn't get back to my request for help and I haven't bothered with Esquire as I value my time, so I am now considering installing a new ROM.

If anyone has rooted a MTK6582 device, please could you share the process followed?
You can install towelroot if it has KitKat firmware on to root.
https://towelroot.com/
You will get zero support for this phone.

You could easily have bought the VKWorld VK700 Pro phone that is way better and in the same price category.
Gorilla Glass Screen
5.5" HD Screen
13 MP Camera
3200 Mah battery

Just bought 2 for friends.

berghie

You can install towelroot if it has KitKat firmware on to root.
https://towelroot.com/
You will get zero support for this phone.

You could easily have bought the VKWorld VK700 Pro phone that is way better and in the same price category.
Gorilla Glass Screen
5.5" HD Screen
13 MP Camera
3200 Mah battery

Just bought 2 for friends.
The MyWigo was on special at Esquire and I didn't think it would be an issue to update the ROM.

No luck with Towelroot. Seems it has been discontinued.

Will update if I make any progress.

saa044

Expert Member

I actually got a Vkworld Vk700 Pro phone this week. Same issue with the 1GB for apps. What I did was to search for the chip. "MTK6582 root" In your case. I got it rooted with some Chinese root app, it installed kingroot by default, not superSu. After that I did a factory reset on my phone and installed Apps2Sd With Apps2Sd I first moved apps like facebook, Gmail, maps to SD card. Be carful not to have Apps2Sd on the sd card before you start with this whole proces, otherwise you will have to do a factory reset again. Any way I only moved apps and not system files or services. The phone is set to install to SD and so is Apps2Sd. Most apps install to SD card, but they still leave a odd MB on the device, Apps2SD puts everything on SD for those apps, so problem sorted. Got 576MB left on my phone.

Other method you can try is to play with the EBR files of your original rom, if you can get your hands on a image. A app called FSadino_EBR_Changer_Kit handles this.

EBRtweak v. 1.2 (14.04.2015) - Originally by Burs

Tool to change EBR partition sizes for MediaTek devices.

------------------------------------------------
- Changelog v.1.1 (13.08.2014) by grittyKitty
Fix 4.5 through 5.5 GB storage size
- Changelog v.1.2 (14.04.2015) by bovirus
Fix version mismatch - cosmetic changes

Choose option (1-C) for the new system storage partition size:
(press Control+C anytime to quit by EBRtweak without changes)

1) 0,5GB 2) 1,0GB 3) 1,5GB
4) 2,0GB 5) 2,5GB 6) 3,0GB
7) 3,5GB 8) 4,0GB 9) 4,5GB
A) 5,0GB B) 5,5GB C) 6,0GB

As you can see the tool detects I have a 8GB rom and asks what size it must make the partition for the apps to install and what size on the Rom is left for storage. After the new modified files are created you have to get a scatterfile or something like that from your device and inject the new EBR files with some flash tool, boot into recovery with SuperSu, wipe dalvic etc...., I have not tried this method yet, so at your own risk of course, for everything in this reply.

Last edited: