Router for vdsl

RANGA555

Hi guys

So my vdsl has just been generally really bad lately. I've been using a to link 2740u router for years. Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a fibre ready router or to buy a modem and a router.

I'm not too clued up with this so any help and recommendations would be great, I want to be ready for when fibre finally arrives or if it ever does but keeping my hopes up.

So basically a router I can use now with my 20mbps VDSL line and one I can use when fibre arrives.

Thank you kindly

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hi,

The dlink 2740u is an ADSL2+ router and not VDSL2 compatible. If you are on 20Mbps it might be better to get a VDSL2 modem and switch to VDSL2 modulation.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Yeah the DLINK DSL 2740u is quite old... I replaced it a year ago with the DSL-G2562DG, it works fine with both VDSL and Fibre.

Another upside is that my connection never dropped since the replacement, it seems much more of a stable router.

RANGA555

Hi,

The dlink 2740u is an ADSL2+ router and not VDSL2 compatible. If you are on 20Mbps it might be better to get a VDSL2 modem and switch to VDSL2 modulation.
OK sweet so you recommend which router?? This might be why I keep getting ping spikes and loss of connection on my pc and ps5

RANGA555

Yeah the DLINK DSL 2740u is quite old... I replaced it a year ago with the DSL-G2562DG, it works fine with both VDSL and Fibre.

Another upside is that my connection never dropped since the replacement, it seems much more of a stable router.
Thanks dude I will look into this. Is there any more modern router you could recommend ? Like one from 2020 so that I can try future proof myself?

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Thanks dude I will look into this. Is there any more modern router you could recommend ? Like one from 2020 so that I can try future proof myself?

Nope, no need to future proof as this router (costs R799-R1000 depending where you buy) supports VDSL and 1Gb Fibre along with WiFi 5.

RANGA555

Nope, no need to future proof as this router (costs R799-R1000 depending where you buy) supports VDSL and 1Gb Fibre along with WiFi 5.
OK sweet but isn't there WiFi 6 now?? I think I read that somewhere

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
OK sweet so you recommend which router?? This might be why I keep getting ping spikes and loss of connection on my pc and ps5

I would recommend the D-link DSL-G2562DG.

I have seen really good results for clients with these modems although any VDSL2 modem should do.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The ASUS DSL-AC52U is a great affordable dual-band VDSL router. It also has a WAN port so it works just fine as a fibre router too.

RANGA555

I noticed this on another post, if I were to get this I would need a modem too correct? Because this has no dsl or vdsl port on it. At least that's my understanding of it.

RANGA555

Update: So I ended up getting the TP-Link Archer VR400 off Takealot, however once I connected it all up and logged into my afrihost line then I didnt have any connection. After chatting with Afrohost on Whatsapp the lady said to me that my line wasn't connecting to the modem. I'm pretty sure I plugged everything in correctly, she said to me that the router seems to be fine its just my line giving me trouble.

So I decided to reconnect my older router and it is giving me the same problem
@AfriNatic

33fda2c47286da8cdea0d680cf846014.jpg

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Update: So I ended up getting the TP-Link Archer VR400 off Takealot, however once I connected it all up and logged into my afrihost line then I didnt have any connection. After chatting with Afrohost on Whatsapp the lady said to me that my line wasn't connecting to the modem. I'm pretty sure I plugged everything in correctly, she said to me that the router seems to be fine its just my line giving me trouble.

So I decided to reconnect my older router and it is giving me the same problem
@AfriNatic

33fda2c47286da8cdea0d680cf846014.jpg

Morning,

If the line is still giving you issues you can send me a pm for me to log a line fault for you.

Make sure that you have both VDSL2 and ADSL2+ mode enabled as the line might be forced to either and the router not causing it not to sync.

RANGA555

Morning,

If the line is still giving you issues you can send me a pm for me to log a line fault for you.

Make sure that you have both VDSL2 and ADSL2+ mode enabled as the line might be forced to either and the router not causing it not to sync.
So it only seems to work if I set it up as adsl on the router. As soon as I switch it to vdsl I get no connection. This router gives me the option of Afrihost_ADSL and Afrihost_VDSL, then there's a whole bunch of other SA ISP's too

deweyzeph

Executive Member
So it only seems to work if I set it up as adsl on the router. As soon as I switch it to vdsl I get no connection. This router gives me the option of Afrihost_ADSL and Afrihost_VDSL, then there's a whole bunch of other SA ISP's too

That means you have ADSL not VDSL. You need to get Telkom to switch your profile to VDSL.