Router for vdsl

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Isn't that determined by the exchange? It's either one or the other technology.

The exchange equipment determines whether you CAN get VDSL. But to actually get VDSL Telkom (or Openserve) have to change your profile to a VDSL profile otherwise your modulation will still be on ADSL.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Off topic but a funny story:

My neighbours VDSL line went dead a few days ago. Telkom sent a tech out and after doing some tests, he went to the street cabinet. A rather large sewer rat had somehow gotten in and had chewed the **** out of most of the wiring.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So it only seems to work if I set it up as adsl on the router. As soon as I switch it to vdsl I get no connection. This router gives me the option of Afrihost_ADSL and Afrihost_VDSL, then there's a whole bunch of other SA ISP's too

Hi,

Please send me a pm with your clientzone email address for me to send a mail to Openserve to ask them to change the modulation to VDSL2 mode.

RANGA555

Its so strange but after there's load shedding my router doesn't come back on when power is restored. I have to go switch it off and on again. Its a tp link archer ar400. Maybe there's a setting somewhere?

MavChat

Expert Member
Its so strange but after there's load shedding my router doesn't come back on when power is restored. I have to go switch it off and on again. Its a tp link archer ar400. Maybe there's a setting somewhere?
If you still do not have the VDSL profile activated send me your number via DM and I will change the modulation on the Openserve system.

Reactions: Yuu

RANGA555

If you still do not have the VDSL profile activated send me your number via DM and I will change the modulation on the Openserve system.
I dont have a clue what the number is. I used to have it saved somewhere but I've never needed it before so I dont know where it is. Telkom in their wisdom are still using my old address even after I moved the line

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So my vdsl seems to be working fine. Many thanks to @AfriNatic and @MavChat for all your help.

On a side note I just read this article below. Does this mean I might be getting a free upgrade to 40mbps?

Morning,

Glad it's sorted. The distance from the exchange means that 40Mbps won't be possible for your line unfortunately.