Router versus Modem

squirrel

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
185
Could someone please explain the differences between a router and modem, and what are the pro's and con's for each. After that I need to decide on a product to get, I don't have that much to spend, though. Everything is wired so no need for wireless
 
Last edited:
stay FAR AWAY from a stupid usb modem! biggest mistake of my (adsl) life. the biggest problems with usb are 1) compatibility issues with Linux and other os's & 2) sharing the internet connection WILL BE a HUGE hassle!
get a router. it works with linux coz linux juz sees it as another network, and when u wanna share connection, juz plug a computer/device into the router et voila!, no ics (internet connection sharing) (or, incredibly complicated sh*t)
 
I agree USB is not great. Rather go for a Ethernet type connection.

I have opted for a separate router and modem to reduce the replacement cost if the unit gets damaged by lightning. I use a Linksys ADSL2MUE DSL modem which I use in bridged mode and Linksys 3G router with offers 4 ports and WIFI with both a 3G card input and WAN for the DSL.

The Modem/Router combo's are very popular but remember they are more expensive when you need to replace them.

I'm no expert but this is my opinion. I've had no hassles with my Linksys setup and can recommend the product.
 
Ok so obviously I should be staying away from USB modems. I am going to go for a Modem/Router combination since they are a bit cheaper. What is a Netgear DG632 like? Can you guys give any recommendations, thanks!
 
Last edited:
The Netgear DG632 seems to be single port. This wont make connection sharing any easier than a usb modem if u hav more than two pcs.. and even then you'll be using the usb for one pc. (Unless u get a seperate switch of course) If you want to share the connection across the network and you want a modem with switch, look for a 4-port one
 
yes, havent heard anything of those tho. I used to use a billion, simple and solid... other brands often mentioned are netgear and linksys. I now use a 4port mecer.. all i could afford when lightning took out my billion
 
with a usb modem, your adsl speed will be limited by the speed of the usb bus. if we ever have to get 8mbps adsl in the future, you wont get the full speed by using a usb modem.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X