Running ethernet cables through the house

Arex

Hi All,

I am stuck in a small dilemma, I have Fibre installed and connected to the router which is situated at the middle of our lounge area and I'm looking to run an ethernet cable from the router to the study where my desktop PC is. I've attached a very terribly drawn floor diagram so everyone can understand.

I am looking to run the cables around the edge of the ceiling with PVC cable trunking and double sided tape. There are no doors in between the rooms (just a small arch by the study). I cannot use nails as I do not own the property. There are also no windows in the lounge.

The other option would be to run it through the roof as above the router there is a small hole that other cables go through and by the study there is what seems to be a vent. I am not confident I could do this myself but it may be more cost effective.

What would you guys suggest? Any tips are appreciated as it is my first time doing this. The length from the router to the study is approximately 10m - 15m

Attachments

Meelperd

double sided tape
Definitely NOT!

Ethernet-over-power
How cool is this?

I am not confident I could do this myself
You can do it! I's super easy:
  1. If you can get into the roof and there is sufficient space to walk around safely, try this option first.
  2. If you choose to go along the wall, use a glue gun instead. https://www.builders.co.za/Tools/Power-Tools/Hobby-Mini-Power-Tools/Rapid-EG212-Handy-Glue-Gun/p/000000000000467090

Neuk_

Expert Member
I have run all my ethernet cabling in the roof, with the exception of some cabling outside for our CCTv cameras.

Neuk_

Expert Member
like wise
And even then, two of the cameras I planned for when we were renovating so their cabling runs in conduit through walls and then in lip channel in the garage, the other two I didn't plan for so they have some cabling run on the top of one garage wall and our external wall.

Arex

1. If you can get into the roof and there is sufficient space to walk around safely, try this option first.
I'll have to check if I can access the inside of the roof, if not I can't imagine the trouble it would be trying to pull the line through.

Personally i'd go Ethernet-over-power using some Powerline(Homeplug) adapters. Relatively reliable and useful where you absolutely can't permanently run cables
What do these powerline adapters do? Is it like a wifi repeater where you install it in the middle and connect lines in between?

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
If you can't run a cable in the ceiling, then Ethernet over power is the simplest way.

Powerline adapter has two parts, part one plugs into your wall socket at your router, you run an ethernet cable to it from the router. Part 2 you plug into a wall socket anywhere in your house, essentially your power lines become your ethernet cables, connect an ethernet cable to part 2 (or if it has wifi, connect to that).

adam_g

I dont understand why people are so scared to make small holes in walls or ceilings if you renting....

I just simply asked my Landlord if it was ok he had no issues ive ran all my Ethernet through the roof and when i leave ill just patch the holes up with Polly Filler.

Otherwise just get one of those Ethernet over power adapters

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Hi All,

I am stuck in a small dilemma, I have Fibre installed and connected to the router which is situated at the middle of our lounge area and I'm looking to run an ethernet cable from the router to the study where my desktop PC is. I've attached a very terribly drawn floor diagram so everyone can understand.

I am looking to run the cables around the edge of the ceiling with PVC cable trunking and double sided tape. There are no doors in between the rooms (just a small arch by the study). I cannot use nails as I do not own the property. There are also no windows in the lounge.

The other option would be to run it through the roof as above the router there is a small hole that other cables go through and by the study there is what seems to be a vent. I am not confident I could do this myself but it may be more cost effective.

What would you guys suggest? Any tips are appreciated as it is my first time doing this. The length from the router to the study is approximately 10m - 15m
Where do you live?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Drill straight through the walls - or use the powerlines.

The drilling is way more fun.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Definitely NOT!

How cool is this?

You can do it! I's super easy:
  2. If you choose to go along the wall, use a glue gun instead. https://www.builders.co.za/Tools/Power-Tools/Hobby-Mini-Power-Tools/Rapid-EG212-Handy-Glue-Gun/p/000000000000467090
You do get double sided tape that is rock solid, can't remember the name but I used it on trunking and that trunking is going no-where. As I thought it was like normal double sided tape so I tried pulling it to readjust it. Nope stuck fast.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You do get double sided tape that is rock solid, can't remember the name but I used it on trunking and that trunking is going no-where. As I thought it was like normal double sided tape so I tried pulling it to readjust it. Nope stuck fast.
I've got the 3M stuff that works very well. It aint cheap though.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've got the 3M stuff that works very well. It aint cheap though.
Nope, think this stuff wasn't either, about R40 for about a meters worth of tape. But it did the job :) as I said that trunking is going now where.