Running ethernet cables through the house

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Yes roof.

Mine runs from router through ceiling down TV aerial conduit in wall to Smart TV for example.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Ethernet cables always the best option. First place is through the roof. All the cables I have ever done go through the roof if possible. If not, glue gun works well if you take the time to do it neatly.

Mesh wifi can get expensive but must be done properly. You have fibre - every place of use deserves full speed and low latency.

Avoid ethernet over powerline. Speed is limited, packets can get lost and it requires all locations be on the same phase. Heaven forbid you have an intermittent reactive load on the phase too: I've seen a friend's setup stop working whenever the pool pump or microwave is on.

Arex

Where do you live?
Durban

Avoid ethernet over powerline. Speed is limited, packets can get lost and it requires all locations be on the same phase. Heaven forbid you have an intermittent reactive load on the phase too: I've seen a friend's setup stop working whenever the pool pump or microwave is on.
That sounds like a big risk, I am connected through Wi-fi now but the signal is not great and I get disconnected from time to time

Wireless.
Rather just buy this especially since you don't own the place and will inevitably move again.
https://www.takealot.com/ubiquiti-amplifi-instant-router-1-meshpoint-kit-afi-ins/PLID54497855
That is quite expensive, I'd rather run a line on the floor and get shouted at by the landlord :)

Neuk_

Expert Member
Ethernet cables always the best option.
This is my opinion as well but I have an issue with an old ADSL router that I setup as a WiFi repeater/access point. Our Samsung smart TV is plugged directly in to it but keeps on complaining that the LAN cable is disconnected so I switched to using WiFi for now.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Durban

That sounds like a big risk, I am connected through Wi-fi now but the signal is not great and I get disconnected from time to time

That is quite expensive, I'd rather run a line on the floor and get shouted at by the landlord :)
While Eth-over-power can be hit and miss,it's the closest to Ethernet without Ethernet,and 9/10 times it works fine for general use
I bought 6 adapters years ago,and they've survived 3 moves and still see use till I can pull ethernet cables

Eti1

Expert Member
I use TP link wifi extender. It's cheap and it's mobile.

Latency maybe 25% worse than normal but I get full speed in the extended area.

Might be suitable for OP's needs.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Durban

It is but it’s the best and it will last.

Why the need for cable? What’s wrong with the wireless on the router?

Even so you could just buy a single Ubiquiti Unifi for <R2000 to also sort you out permanently and just double sided tape it to the ceiling and run the wire down.

Or hide it above the fridge or in a cupboard or something.

There really is no need for cables to clients in the modern home.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
While Eth-over-power can be hit and miss,it's the closest to Ethernet without Ethernet,and 9/10 times it works fine for general use
I bought 6 adapters years ago,and they've survived 3 moves and still see use till I can pull ethernet cables
Yeah - I doubled my overall speed the other day just by moving the adapter to a different plug in the same room.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 12.06.38.png

JC Heat

If cabling HAS to be used, then definitely through the ROOF! I have done this myself on more than one occasion due to being in a rented property. Just a word of advice as well, stay away from double sided tape. That stuff can make a huge mess of the walls and look shoddy. Rather use tack clips/hooks or similar to secure the wiring where necessary, then polyfill/quick fix and a splash of paint where necessary when/if you move out.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Durban

Hey Arex, nice diagram, clearish problem statement. You have 3 options:

1. Upgrade your (possibly crappy cheap chinese) wifi kit. Someone suggested Ubiquiti Amplifi, a good choice, made in USA. You didn't tell us what wifi kit you currently have (we just hope that it is not Ubiquiti), so we cannot provide anymore speculative feedback.
Solution tech rating: 7/10.
Ease of implementation: 9/10. It just works. Beautifully.
Solution cost: 2/10 (more is better). The Reserve Bank don't like no 'merican imports.
Tech skill required: 9/10 (you need to be able to read and understand english).
Will the wife like it? 10/10 She will just love it.

2. Run powerline extenders. This is possible, depends on your needs in your study. You didn't give us any throughput requirements for the workstation in the study, which would help in telling you if it may work or not (to around 65% accuracy, depending on your electrical layout). It will also provide forumites fertile grounds for much anger, banter and mirth over the next 3 weeks, and also feed a few trolls.
Solution tech rating: 5/10.
Ease of implementation: 8/10.
Solution cost: 5/10
Tech skill required: 8/10 (you need to be able to read and understand chingrish).
Will the wife like it? 8/10. She will think you are a genius.

3. Run ethernet cable. You can do this two ways: in the roof, or along the walls. If you have a lady friend, both will require trunking (not her, the cable jou rowwe bliksem).
Solution tech rating: 9/10 for CAT-5 UTP, 10/10 if CAT 6, but -1 if you don't earth both ends.
Ease of implementation: 6/10 for walls, 4/10 for roofjob.
Solution cost: 6/10
Tech skill required: 3/10. You need to be able to crimp cables and/or estimate (to the centimetre) cable lengths. Aside from a crimping tool, for roofjob you need a ladder, a camping headlight, dexterity, good balance (no fatties) and common sense to only walk on the thick branderings.
Will the wife like it? 5/10. It depends. If you mess up the trunking, you will have to do it again. If you leave a 500x500mm gaping hole in the ceiling, and possibly break a femur, you are screwed.

I hope that this guide helps, considering the info available.

Last edited: