RWC final breaks DStv Now streaming records

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
RWC final breaks DStv Now streaming records

Multichoice has said that the streaming load on DStv Now's platform on Saturday 2 November - the day of the 2019 Rugby World Cup final - was its largest ever in Africa.

"It’s fair to assume that the load during the Final was the largest ever seen in Africa, with three times more peak concurrent viewers than in the first game and double the number who watched the 2018 football World Cup Finals," said Niclas Ekdahl, CEO of Connected Video at MultiChoice.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I think DSTV seriously underestimates how many people use DSTV Now as their primary method of accessing DSTV. For example, my mom's DSTV satellite dish recently broke, and seeing as she already had the DSTV Now app installed on her Xiaomi media player, she simply started using DSTV Now permanently for viewing DSTV instead wasting money fixing the satellite dish. Her decoder is now sitting in a cupboard gathering dust and the satellite dish has been removed from her roof yet she is a happy DSTV customer. There is just simply no point to ever use the decoder and satellite to access DSTV again.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
I have to say that contrary to my expectations, with the exception of one buffering incident during the anthems, my stream was flawless for the entire match.

Kudos to DSTV this time round.
We gave up and switched to SABC - ironically no streaming issues whatsoever in the build up commentary.

Thor

Honorary Master
we didn’t anticipate how congestion in one specific system could cascade into others
Sounds typical for SA's skill level.

Cius

Executive Member
Really appreciated Multichoice making it available via showmax too. Great to be able to watch it at home on a TV that has not had an areal or satellite dish connected for 10+ years.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Yup.
Well done Multichoice!
I was expecting disaster but only had one buffer early on in the game but otherwise flawless

Rabobi

Executive Member
It went flawless for me as well on Saturday.

Only annoyance I had is, my neighbors were screaming\cheering and only 10 - 15 seconds later I can see why.
Had a lot of spoilers on saturday because of that, but oh well.
That is DAMN annoying

falcon786

Honorary Master
We gave up and switched to SABC - ironically no streaming issues whatsoever in the build up commentary.
Probably an issue with your own internet connection,I streamed from the 3 minute mark to the end in full hd without skipping a beat.

mister

Executive Member
I don't understand... why are you all congratulating a company for providing the service they contract to provide?

skusku

Can someone tell me how it is possible for dstv to upload 4000 GB per minute. What lines or servers are needed :)

Luke7777

Executive Member
It went flawless for me as well on Saturday.

Only annoyance I had is, my neighbors were screaming\cheering and only 10 - 15 seconds later I can see why.
Had a lot of spoilers on saturday because of that, but oh well.
lol, my neighbors were shouting about 50s later every time :D :D
So was my son, streaming via NBC in the States :D

cavedog

Honorary Master
Can someone tell me how it is possible for dstv to upload 4000 GB per minute. What lines or servers are needed :)

I believe they use akamai. It's a CDN similar to cloedflare. A lot of servers.