S8, Note 8 or P20 Pro

Ecko_1

My S6 is dying after nearly 4 years so it's time for a change.

Looking at contracts in the region of R600pm (outright buying the handset and still adding on minutes/data works out more expensive).

Which should I go for?

Been using Samsung for very long. When I compared specs the P20 Pro looked much better. Don't have a need for S Pen on the Note, but added it in due to 6Gb ram. I'll be using the phone for 4 years or so if it survives as long as my S6.

Mk786

Expert Member
My S6 died few days ago. Doesn't even boot up. Im got a P20 Pro and have been using it for a while now. Great replacement device. Phone is fast and does anything you want it to do.

Whatever you choose, consider getting a dual sim device to save with those cheap data contracts.

Sumen

Expert Member
My S6 is dying after nearly 4 years so it's time for a change.

Looking at contracts in the region of R600pm (outright buying the handset and still adding on minutes/data works out more expensive).

Which should I go for?

Been using Samsung for very long. When I compared specs the P20 Pro looked much better. Don't have a need for S Pen on the Note, but added it in due to 6Gb ram. I'll be using the phone for 4 years or so if it survives as long as my S6.
If you don't mind using a screen protector then the P20 Pro is good also look at the Mate 10 Pro

namzsteve

Expert Member
P20 Pro anyday.

I am however using the LG G7, it's been awesome so far. I'll probably take the upcoming V40 on contract if I really like it.

poffle

Executive Member
Wait a few days, Mate 20 / Pro will hopefully be announced this weekend and usually released around October/Nov...

if you can't wait. P20 Pro hands down, its a generation ahead of S8/Note8.. s8 battery is horrific. Note 8 is huge.
Not to mention the camera excellence you'll be getting on the P20

Ecko_1

My S6 died few days ago. Doesn't even boot up. Im got a P20 Pro and have been using it for a while now. Great replacement device. Phone is fast and does anything you want it to do.

Whatever you choose, consider getting a dual sim device to save with those cheap data contracts.
It doesn't seem like there is a wide availability of dual sim models from the SP's though? I have a mifi device which i can carry for cheap data though.

Ecko_1

If you don't mind using a screen protector then the P20 Pro is good also look at the Mate 10 Pro
Do you mean like a tempered glass protector, or something else? I have had tempered glass and a case on my S6 from day one. The S6 still looks new. Would do the same for any phone I get in future too.

Ecko_1

Wait a few days, Mate 20 / Pro will hopefully be announced this weekend and usually released around October/Nov...

if you can't wait. P20 Pro hands down, its a generation ahead of S8/Note8.. s8 battery is horrific. Note 8 is huge.
Not to mention the camera excellence you'll be getting on the P20
I can wait. But a new flagship release is going to cost much more especially at launch, reason why the Note 9 isn't on my list.

Sumen

Expert Member
Do you mean like a tempered glass protector, or something else? I have had tempered glass and a case on my S6 from day one. The S6 still looks new. Would do the same for any phone I get in future too.
Yes

poffle

Executive Member
I can wait. But a new flagship release is going to cost much more especially at launch, reason why the Note 9 isn't on my list.
Yeah that's true, well p20 Pro would be my choice then. I don't think you will regret it at all.

I recently got a mate 10 pro to try out as my first Huawei device and I've been really impressed (coming from a oneplus 5t). The UI is similar to Samsung, enough customization options. Solid build. Good camera. Amazing battery, and can still use it in 1 hand.

Ecko_1

Yeah that's true, well p20 Pro would be my choice then. I don't think you will regret it at all.

I recently got a mate 10 pro to try out as my first Huawei device and I've been really impressed (coming from a oneplus 5t). The UI is similar to Samsung, enough customization options. Solid build. Good camera. Amazing battery, and can still use it in 1 hand.
I was actually considering the Mate 10 Pro as well as it is in a similar price range and has decent specs. But the camera in the P20 is attractive (young baby means lots of moments where I don't have time to pull out the DSLR).

My wife has a P8 Lite which I basically maintain for her, so I am fairly familiar with the EMUI system. The only gripe i have is that all apps reside in the front screen, unlike Samsung which has almost like a "back office" for all apps, and a "front office" for the apps you want to have priority.

poffle

Executive Member
I was actually considering the Mate 10 Pro as well as it is in a similar price range and has decent specs. But the camera in the P20 is attractive (young baby means lots of moments where I don't have time to pull out the DSLR).

My wife has a P8 Lite which I basically maintain for her, so I am fairly familiar with the EMUI system. The only gripe i have is that all apps reside in the front screen, unlike Samsung which has almost like a "back office" for all apps, and a "front office" for the apps you want to have priority.
Mate 10 Pro is a fantastic device too... but yeah P20 Pro is better.

Don't worry, the new version of EMUI has an option which bring back the app drawer, so you can have only what you want on your home screens, much less clutter. It'll also be silky smooth unlike the P8's... don't let the old Huawei's deceive you.

Edit: I also give myself a nice smug look when i have 49% battery left after 4hr30min SOT.

Ecko_1

Mate 10 Pro is a fantastic device too... but yeah P20 Pro is better.

Don't worry, the new version of EMUI has an option which bring back the app drawer, so you can have only what you want on your home screens, much less clutter. It'll also be silky smooth unlike the P8's... don't let the old Huawei's deceive you.

Edit: I also give myself a nice smug look when i have 49% battery left after 4hr30min SOT.
And I have to charge my S6 2 or 3 times a day when I am at my desk. And I don't sit on my phone all day

Mk786

Expert Member
I saw that option but didn't like the look. Now I just search for what I 'm looking for by dragging down on the main screen.

mmmig

Honorary Master
Personally would those choices I'd go for either Samsung just for Samsung Pay. Like the idea of not having to carry my wallet everywhere

Pox

Expert Member
OnePlus 6 or wait for the 6T. Same cpu, memory, etc as Galaxy S9, but at a nice discount.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The Nokia 8, flagship phone at midrange prices. That's if you can find one though :( or the one plus 6