SA Politics Thread Part 10 : The GNU Has Crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Zille just looked on and did nothing, she did not move to Pretoria and contested to be a Mayor when the people of Hammanskraal were dying of Cholera, but all of a sudden she is so bothered she's prepared to move from Cape Town to Joburg to become mayor.

Keep in mind, this isn't a random thing. Zille is originally from JHB, born and raised.
 

I get his reservations about the EMG list (I do too), but what does he expect? A snap election? A referendum? What exactly? And what would the point be of such a dialogue if it just has MPs...?

I generally see this "National Dialogue" thing as a pointless waste of time where some people will skim some funds because they couldn't get a seat in Parliament or whatever, and nothing of any value will come from it, or if anything of any value (good or bad) does come from it, it will be ignored anyway.

Squirrel is turning into the worst kind of populist where he THINKS he knows what the public wants, but in reality is doing the exact opposite of what they want.
 

I get his reservations about the EMG list (I do too), but what does he expect? A snap election? A referendum? What exactly? And what would the point be of such a dialogue if it just has MPs...?
Given the fact that South Africans seem to worship celebrities more than any other public representative, maybe it's not that much of deal.

But I am sure Cyril would not like politics to get in the way and would gladly allow the fighters to nominate someone.
 
But I am sure Cyril would not like politics to get in the way and would gladly allow the fighters to nominate someone.
No politics to get in the way, but there are actual former ANC reps in the list, and no one from other political parties, not even from GNU...

Bad start.
 
I generally see this "National Dialogue" thing as a pointless waste of time where some people will skim some funds because they couldn't get a seat in Parliament or whatever, and nothing of any value will come from it, or if anything of any value (good or bad) does come from it, it will be ignored anyway.

Squirrel is turning into the worst kind of populist where he THINKS he knows what the public wants, but in reality is doing the exact opposite of what they want.
I'm generally positive about something like the Dialogue because it could basically determine a new treaty/compact for SA since the transition, but what I was always worried about from the start is that the ANC will try to hijack this for their own benefit.

The EMG list is already showing worrying signs...
 
I'm generally positive about something like the Dialogue because it could basically determine a new treaty/compact for SA since the transition, but what I was always worried about from the start is that the ANC will try to hijack this for their own benefit.

The EMG list is already showing worrying signs...

I'd be positive about it, if it was structured correctly and all that.

But since it has the ANC and Squirrels hands at the wheels, it will be a waste of time with lots of stupid rhetoric and "Hold my beer" outcomes.
 
I'd be positive about it, if it was structured correctly and all that.

But since it has the ANC and Squirrels hands at the wheels, it will be a waste of time with lots of stupid rhetoric and "Hold my beer" outcomes.
Yeah, unless we see transition-level miracles...
 
No politics to get in the way, but there are actual former ANC reps in the list, and no one from other political parties, not even from GNU...

Bad start.
Have you already forgotten who Lindiwe Mazibuko is? Roelf Meyer?

Anyway, I don't think the emphasis was on political affiliation, let's take Ntshalintshali for an example, he is the leader of a biggest workers union in the land, how do you have a national dialogue without someone of that stature included? but rather the impact they have in their roles on society.

But as I say, it is a national dialogue, that is not supposed to be reduced to politics, I am sure Cyril will listen if people feel there us someone who must be on the list who is not there, I personally wouldn't feel any aggrieved if there was a Lindiwe Mazibuko there and no one from the ANC, I respect her as a person regardless of her party, but if there was Zille there I would have a problem, not because she us from the DA but bexause she us a divisive person who would have no business there.
 
Last edited:
Have you already forgotten who Lindiwe Mazibuko is?
You mean the same person who stormed out of and has denounced the DA since? Yeah, sorry if I don't count her in.
Roelf Meyer?
From the long-dead NP? And also Rama's friend? Very impartial, very unbiased.
Anyway, I don't think the emphasis was on political affiliation, let's take Ntshalintshali for an example, but rather the impact they have in their roles on society.
The members of the Eminent Persons Group are:
• Dr Brigalia Bam, former Independent Electoral Commission Chairperson,
• Mr Robbie Brozin, entrepreneur and business person,
• Judge Edwin Cameron, former Constitutional Court judge,
• Mr Manne Dipico, former Northern Cape Premier,
• Dr Desiree Ellis, Banyana Banyana coach and football legend,
• Ms Ela Gandhi, peace activist and stalwart,
• Prof Nomboniso Gasa, researcher and rural activist,
• Mr Bobby Godsell, business leader,
• Dr John Kani, award-winning actor,
• Mr Siya Kolisi, Springbok captain and world champion,
• Ms Mia le Roux, Miss South Africa 2024,
• His Grace Bishop Barnabas Lekganyane, leader of the Zion Christian Church,
• His Grace Bishop Engenas Lekganyane, leader of the St Engenas Zion Christian Church,
• The Most Reverend Thabo Makgoba, Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town,
• Prof Tinyiko Maluleke, Chairperson of the National Planning Commission,
• Dr Barbara Masekela, poet, educator and stalwart,
• Ms Lindiwe Mazibuko, former Member of Parliament,
• Mr Roelf Meyer, former Minister and constitutional negotiator,
• Ms Gcina Mhlope, storyteller, writer and actor,
• Ms Nompendulo Mkhatshwa, student activist and former Member of Parliament,
• Ms Kgothatso Montjane, Grand Slam tennis champion,
• Prof Harry Ranwedzi Nengwekhulu, former activist and educationist,
• Mr Bheki Ntshalintshali, unionist and former COSATU General Secretary,

• Hosi Phylia Nwamitwa, traditional leader,
• Kgosi Thabo Seatlholo, chairperson of the National House of Traditional and Khoi-San Leaders,
• Dr Gloria Serobe, business leader,
• Dr Imtiaz Sooliman, founder of the Gift of the Givers,
• Prof Derrick Swartz, academic,
• Ms Lorato Trok, author and early literacy expert,
• Mr Sibusiso Vilane, mountaineer and adventurer,
• Mr Siyabulela Xuza, award-winning rocket scientist.
Run those names in Google, and tell me the common thread between them.
 
You mean the same person who stormed out of and has denounced the DA since? Yeah, sorry if I don't count her in.

From the long-dead NP? And also Rama's friend? Very impartial, very unbiased.


Run those names in Google, and tell me the common thread between them.
I don't have any hangovers about the people in that list, I won't demand the captain of Bafana Bafana because there is Siya Kolisi in there or the coach of the netball team because there us a coach of Banyana in there. I don't need to run anything on Google, I know who all those people are.

But find a platform to raise your displeasure about the list and the name of the people you would like to see being included, or excluded for that matter.
 
I won't demand the captain of Bafana Bafana because there is Siya Kolisi in there or the coach of the netball team because there us a coach of Banyana in there. I don't need to run anything on Google, I know who all those people are.
Nice decoy there. One of your best.

P.S If you did run them through Google, those people all have ties to GLM and/or the Tripartite Alliance...
 
You mean the same person who stormed out of and has denounced the DA since? Yeah, sorry if I don't count her in.

From the long-dead NP? And also Rama's friend? Very impartial, very unbiased.


Run those names in Google, and tell me the common thread between them.


Like really?

What the actual fsck does Siya know about politics and economics and policy and anything that matters, he's a sportsman ffs.
And Miss SA? Are we really scraping that far into the bottom of the barrel for stupid?
 
Nice decoy there. One of your best.

P.S If you did run them through Google, those people all have ties to GLM and/or the Tripartite Alliance...
All those people have other qualities and significance, it's your problem if their ANC links don't sit well with you, I am happy for you to take it up and I promise I won't cry if they are replaced with people with similar qualities and significance who have links to the DA, just not Zille since I know she is the solution for everything in the DA.
 

I get his reservations about the EMG list (I do too), but what does he expect? A snap election? A referendum? What exactly? And what would the point be of such a dialogue if it just has MPs...?
It's simply an optical exercise. The ANC has to be seen to be doing something. The electorate is abandoning it. It's support is in freefall, and there is no strategy to arrest this. There also cannot be any credible strategy, since the entire ANC "leadership" has a combined IQ of 19, unable to provide even the most basic of leadership deliverables, but more than capable of making populist promises not based in any form of reality.

This makes perfect sense, in its futility.
 
What the actual fsck does Siya know about politics and economics and policy and anything that matters, he's a sportsman ffs.
And Miss SA? Are we really scraping that far into the bottom of the barrel for stupid?
With them, I don't have beef, because they're of the few uniting symbols in SA...
 
With them, I don't have beef, because they're of the few uniting symbols in SA...

I don't have beef with them specifically, but if we are to have a national dialog that is meant to help "fix" the country, we need people with actual skills and experience in the areas that matter, which are the economy and policy basically.

By including celebrities, you just cheapen the exercise and make in meaningless in my opinion.
 
All those people have other qualities and significance, it's your problem if their ANC links don't sit well with you, I am happy for you to take it up and I promise I won't cry if they are replaced with people with similar qualities and significance who have links to the DA, just not Zille since I know she is the solution for everything in the DA.
That's not my problem. My problem is that all the politically aligned people are somehow either ANCs, disgruntled DAs or good friends of Rama...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X