SAA vs Mango vs Kulula vs BA - Flight price showdown

ekske1

Executive Member
If its a price comparison graph, won't you normally sort it desc on pricing [or at least asc for a-z]?

But you've added multiple routes so a 'calculated column' might have helped.

1548392963512.png

Last edited:

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Wow, bankrupt SAA is the most expensive. Mango cheapest (cough SAA cough - tax payer price subsidies?)

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
SAA is not a low cost airline, its subsidiary Mango is.
Yes, but both are off the same balance sheet. ie: your tax money. What benefits are you getting by choosing SAA over Mango? And I heard SAA flights are carried on Mango planes in some cases.

Daruk

Honorary Master
SAA is not a low cost airline, its subsidiary Mango is.
It really should be given the state of much of it's fleet.
Sitting on those ancient airbusses to DC or NY for 16 hours is no fun. The seats are still marked Recaro. They were bought by lear corp some time ago IIRC.

Jeffrey00

Hello, this article is wrong on a few counts. Easiest, you can rent a car when you buy a safair ticket, contrary to what is stated. Buying a checked bag in advance online on safair is R155, while the difference in cost from the cheapest ticket to the standard fare that include a checked bag is R200. You may find the extra R45 is worth it because it also includes a ticket change without an extra fee. The lowest fare is is targeted at business travelers who don't check bags, I would guess.

The price experiment shown is very odd and unhelpful for travelers who plan on advance, who tend to be the most price sensitive. A better experiment would have been to average the price on many time slots in each direction, starting perhaps 1 to two weeks in advance. That would have been interesting to see. My experience is that SAA is rarely the cheapest and that one should check all four websites before buying tickets.

Jeffrey00

I will also warn travelers that I have had a lot of trouble with domestic BA flights running more than 1-2 hours late. This is a different problem than is captured in the 15 minute on time statistics posted above. I fly alot between Johannesburg and Cape Town and won't fly BA flights anymore after my last six BA flights were all delayed at least 1 hour. I think the problem is that their planes are older and need more maintenance, but the required schedule uses all their planes all the time, so if any plane is taken out of service for unscheduled repairs, many flights are affected.

Dups!

Wow, bankrupt SAA is the most expensive. Mango cheapest (cough SAA cough - tax payer price subsidies?)
..and you get what you pay for. I fly SAA most of the time and have yet to have any major complaints. I flew Mango in November from Cape Town and will never ever fly with them again. I couldn't get SAA flights from Cape Town to OR Tambo for the return flight time I wanted so I took Mango. Big mistake.

As much as SAA seats lack a bit more padding and thus comfort, the Mango plane I flew on felt like it was going to fall apart. Never again.