SAIX wants to proxy my HTTPS traffic. Why?

donn_edwards

For a long time the proxy server for the Aasvoelkop exchange (it appears to be 196.25.255.218) hasn't worked properly, so I have had to use dsl-cache.saix.net:8080 instead.

For the last few days I have been trying to connect to
https://blacklogic.com/unlimitedvpn.php
and I kept getting a timeout error. Now I discovered that if I enable the proxy for all protocols (including HTTPS) then I can connect.

So my question is this: is SAIX so incompetent that they can't get their "transparent" proxies to work properly, or are they just trying to overload their proxy servers with encrypted traffic? :confused:

Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
What you need to be aware of is that HTTPS runs on a different port to HTTP (443 vs 80). Setting up a proxy for HTTPS is not as easy as HTTP - discovered that this week when one of the guys had to create two proxys for my app which runs on HTTPS.

donn_edwards

What you need to be aware of is that HTTPS runs on a different port to HTTP (443 vs 80).

What I want to know is why is SAIX interfering with traffic on port 443 at all? They interefere with the DNS traffic as well.

Surely they understand that encrypted traffic never repeats itself, so a proxy server cannot possibly help. Why are they doing this? Are they just trying to screw up their network even more? :rolleyes: