SAMRO - is it compulsory?

WarriorWolf

I need advice on SAMRO.

We received a call from SAMRO claiming that we need to comply and have a license for any music that is played from radio, youtube, etc.

We have a small shop and we sometimes play different kinds of music on speakers that is set to a low volume.

Does SAMRO apply to us?
Is it compulsory for us to have a license?

If yes, what types of music does it cover?
Can we play royalty-free music without applying for a license?
What about music from Bandcamp (for instance) where a lot of the music there is free or not well-known by any standard?
What about well-known foreign music; e.g. Rammstein?
What about music from Japan; e.g. Man With a Mission, Survive Said the Prophet or Nujabes?
And none-mainsteam music; e.g. anime OST's and such?

Thanks

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Reading through their website - You're a music user. So yip - you need the license.

WHO NEEDS A MUSIC LICENCE

Any venue or business that plays background, recorded, broadcast or live music in public must get a music usage licence from SAMRO. This includes businesses and people such as the following:
  • Radio
  • Pubs
  • Live music venues
  • Shopping malls
  • Cinemas
  • Spaza shops
  • Car washes
  • Trains
  • Non-profit organisations
  • Concerts Exhibitions
  • Any other establishment that plays music in public
  • Television broadcasters
  • Nightclubs
  • Restaurants
  • Retail stores
  • Hairdressers
  • Shebeens
  • Mobile
  • DJs
  • Minibus taxis
  • Churches
  • Schools
  • Community-based organisations
  • Music festivals
  • Any public show that makes use of music

WarriorWolf

How can they enforce this for all types of music, even music that isn't copyrighted?
This does not seem right.

ant_man

Expert Member
When I had my restaurants, many moons ago, it was compulsory to register, regardless of the music you played and volume of it.
Once a month I had to fill out a form of what songs I played and submit it to SAMRO.

WarriorWolf

Contact them and find out. Like they said .... they assess your case and license according.
I guess I will have to contact them to find out the particulars... as if this business needed more expenses right now.

WarriorWolf

When I had my restaurants, many moons ago, it was compulsory to register, regardless of the music you played and volume of it.
Once a month I had to fill out a form of what songs I played and submit it to SAMRO.
Wow, that's really tedious... thanks for the input. I was just confused when we randomly received a call about something that I've never heard of.

Does SAMRO apply to us?
Is it compulsory for us to have a license?

If yes, what types of music does it cover?
Can we play royalty-free music without applying for a license?
What about music from Bandcamp (for instance) where a lot of the music there is free or not well-known by any standard?
What about well-known foreign music; e.g. Rammstein?
What about music from Japan; e.g. Man With a Mission, Survive Said the Prophet or Nujabes?
And none-mainsteam music; e.g. anime OST's and such?

Thanks
Yes
Yes

All music
Legally yes you can play that but good luck explaining it to them.
Need a license
Need a license
Need a license
Need a license

SAMRO are supposed to distribute the license fees to the artists you play. They don't, but that's another story.

ant_man

Expert Member
Wow, that's really tedious... thanks for the input. I was just confused when we randomly received a call about something that I've never heard of.
What I used to do is send the same list through every month, maybe change a few songs here and there.
We didn't have youtube and such then so it made it easier.

I also got a visit out of the blue, I think the reason being is that we were on a very busy road so you couldn't miss us.

They also work your fee out by your average number of customers you get per day, so rather understate that.

WarriorWolf

Yes
Yes

All music
Legally yes you can play that but good luck explaining it to them.
Need a license
Need a license
Need a license
Need a license

SAMRO are supposed to distribute the license fees to the artists you play. They don't, but that's another story.
That mostly clears it up. Much appreciated. I'm thinking the hassles and costs isn't worth it. Might just stop playing any music altogether.

WarriorWolf

What I used to do is send the same list through every month, maybe change a few songs here and there.
We didn't have youtube and such then so it made it easier.

I also got a visit out of the blue, I think the reason being is that we were on a very busy road so you couldn't miss us.

They also work your fee out by your average number of customers you get per day, so rather understate that.
That actually would make it a lot easier. Thanks for the protip.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Years ago these twats wanted cash. So I told them to send me a list of all the copy written music and a list of non copy written music. Never heard from them again.

WarriorWolf

Years ago these twats wanted cash. So I told them to send me a list of all the copy written music and a list of non copy written music. Never heard from them again.
LOL. That's basically why I wanted to ask them so many questions; to find out what I can play without worrying about a license. I eventually emailed them, but they completely ignored my questions and sent me a generic-looking email.

They said "all genres". Bullshit. That's not what I asked them.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Many of the old composers if you like classical music are not copy written. Ya they just another leech on society.