Samsung Galaxy S5

Re Facebook app - if you stop background data on the Facebook app can you still receive calls via the Facebook messenger app or are the two linked data wise?
 
It kills battery life because it's constantly busy in the background. It wants you to have the latest in your timeline when you open the app, and not have to wait for a refresh.

Settings -> Data Usage -> Select one of the apps under App Usage -> Restrict background data

This will disable background data on mobile data network only. Wifi will be used if available.

It doesn't really solve anything if you just restrict mobile data.

Greenify is a far superior option, as it hibernates FB completely when not in use. No background activity at all, and you can still enjoy using the app when you want to access FB.

It's not just FB that likes to force itself as a permanent running process. With Greenify you can take complete control over what has permission to run all the time.
 
Do you have to hibernate it every time after you use the app or can it happen automagically?
 
Do you have to hibernate it every time after you use the app or can it happen automagically?

It's automatic once you've added an app onto Greenify's watch list. The app analyser in Greenify also shows apps that can be a problem in the future thanks to invasive advertising platforms. So all those annoying game notifications and running services can be spotted a mile away and nipped in the bud.

Also, a Greenified app doesn't take any longer than usual to open.
 
It doesn't really solve anything if you just restrict mobile data.

Greenify is a far superior option, as it hibernates FB completely when not in use. No background activity at all, and you can still enjoy using the app when you want to access FB.

It's not just FB that likes to force itself as a permanent running process. With Greenify you can take complete control over what has permission to run all the time.

It solves a lot, but probably not the best solution. Not that I give a schit about Facebook in any case. Facebook so 2003 :D
 
If I have a look at my battery usage facebook is not one of the heavy power uses, should I still be looking to uninstall it to speed the phone up and save juice? What about just leaving the messenger app on? I use it quite a bit.
 
If I have a look at my battery usage facebook is not one of the heavy power uses, should I still be looking to uninstall it to speed the phone up and save juice? What about just leaving the messenger app on? I use it quite a bit.

Don't try and fix something if it isn't broken.

You can probably try greenify and see if it works as a whole, and not just facebook to see if you get better results.
 
My gpsd went moggy yesterday. Flattened battery in 6 hours. Car charger could JUST keep pace with demand, charged it 1 percent in an hour.
 
I don't know. I think the android weather widget had high usage, but can't remember offhand
 
Ok, downloading the firmware ... want to say goodbye to the "Vodacom wants to update it's stupid apps" messages ...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X