Samsung joins Huawei

Tcyte

So Samsung recently launched their first triple lense rear camera on the new A7. This is a mid tear device which I believe will be very affordable for many..

marioat1

Expert Member
Can't believe so many are repeating that this is a mid tear phone, many won't cry, can't someone correct it to mid tier?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Why not just put a sim card in a Canon DSLR. It would take far better pics and cost a lot less than a phone with a dinky camera. The tech gap is so large between a good camera (even a point and shoot) and what is in a phone, that it is unlikely to ever close. It's like trying to race a motorbike on a bicycle. Yes there are fast bicycles and riders but they will never be as fast as motorbikes.

Tcyte

Why not just put a sim card in a Canon DSLR. It would take far better pics and cost a lot less than a phone with a dinky camera. The tech gap is so large between a good camera (even a point and shoot) and what is in a phone, that it is unlikely to ever close. It's like trying to race a motorbike on a bicycle. Yes there are fast bicycles and riders but they will never be as fast as motorbikes.
I think the advantages of a phone is the convenience... Makes it easier for a layman to get a good picture

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I think the advantages of a phone is the convenience... Makes it easier for a layman to get a good picture
You can get a far superior quality picture using a R2K point and shoot that you can ever get out of a R20K cell phone.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Sensor size and quality for a start. The biggest difference between a phone and a point and shoot. the same as the difference between a professional camera and an amature camera.

More controls on a camera

Zoom

More?

Tcyte

Sensor size and quality for a start. The biggest difference between a phone and a point and shoot. the same as the difference between a professional camera and an amature camera.

More controls on a camera

Zoom

More?
I do understand...but the mechanisms are different. The phone manufacturers are just trying to make life simpler for us... Check out the mobile photography thread... U will see what I am talking about

He wants to know what 2K point and shoot will take better photos than the latest iPhone or Samsung Galactica.
Or perhaps an actual example of shots so that we can compare them with eyes.

The best camera is the one you have with you. Cellphone cameras these days are good enough IMO that for the average unskilled photographer you'd actually be worse off witha DSLR that you don't know how to use well.

Tcyte

Or perhaps an actual example of shots so that we can compare them with eyes.

The best camera is the one you have with you. Cellphone cameras these days are good enough IMO that for the average unskilled photographer you'd actually be worse off witha DSLR that you don't know how to use well.
This is a great example...low light photography IMG_20180910_215047.jpeg

Crowley

Executive Member
Or it could just be that most people don't care about having a super duper DSLR with a million settings. I take plenty of photos with my phone camera and they are all perfectly fine for me.

Better cameras on phones are great but it's not high on my have to have list.

Tcyte

Nice but the trick would then be to shoot the same shot with a DSLR and then compare the "quality" of the image.
I am photographer personally and I have a Canon 5D mark iv... I only use it when necessary.. Other than that, my P20 pro does justice for me