Samsung note 8 vs huawei mate 20 lite

Tcyte

After the Note8 price drop and so many conversations about the Huawei Mate 20 lite I decided to do a direct comparison to help those who are considering buying any of the two devices. Based on the research I have done, I discovered the following:
Battery
The Mate 20 lite offers larger battery capacity than the Note 8, with the Mate 20 lite carrying a 3750mAh unit while the Note 8 features a 3300mAh.
Size & Display
Both smartphones offer screen sizes of inches 6.3 inches however, the Note8 seemingly offers a higher resolution with a Super AMOLED display while the Mate 20 Lite features an IPS LCD. To its advantage, the Mate 20 Lite features a lighter and slimmer body weighing 172g, compared to the Note 8’s 195g, while being manufactured using the same materials (aluminum frames).
Camera
The Mate 20 Lite has become synonymously known as the ‘Selfie Master’ with AI-Powered dual 24MP f2.0 + 2MP front-facing cameras, trumping the Note8’s 8MP, f1.7 AF selfie camera. Despite this the Note8 features a higher total rear megapixel count of 24, with dual 12MP + 12MP rear cameras. The Mate 20 Lite features a 20MP + 2MP rear camera setup.
Memory
Both devices have a 64gig expandable memory with the Note8 supporting up to 512GB compared to the Mate 20 lite’s 256GB capability. Both devices have a RAM of 6GB.
The Huawei has a notch which has an option of switching it on & off while the Note 8 does not have one and on the other hand the Note 8 has a more premium look and feel with an S Pen which I believe is super convenient and offers a new dynamic to using the smartphone.
Security
Security of both devices is on par, offering their own unique features. The Note8 features Samsung’s Iris Scanner and rear fingerprint, however, close proximity of the latter to the camera, tends to make the users smudge the camera lens. The Mate 20 lite offers a rear fingerprint scanner and facial unlocking, which is however, software-driven.
In conclusion, both phones offer value at their price point. The Mate 20 lite wins the bout on latest hardware, camera capabilities and battery life, however, the Note8 beats the smartphone on display, memory and the convenience of the unique S Pen.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Devil is in details. By example thorough test must be done to compare these rear cameras. What is better 12+12Mp or 20+2Mp? Numbers say nothing. What is a purpose? The first one is complicated to guess. It can be used for multiple reasons a time: creating stereoscopic effects, correcting perspective distortions, improving focusing speed and accuracy and detecting objects or/and improving sensitivity/noise level. In other words two (or more) symmetric sensors have a higher potential when used to the full extend. In the later case secondary camera is used for very specific (fixed) reason. I think symmetric camera has a bigger potential, but only when used to the full extent.

Many other things are personal and how we use the phone. Did we reach the point when Huawei makes better phones?

Tcyte

Devil is in details. By example thorough test must be done to compare these rear cameras. What is better 12+12Mp or 20+2Mp? Numbers say nothing. What is a purpose? The first one is complicated to guess. It can be used for multiple reasons a time: creating stereoscopic effects, correcting perspective distortions, improving focusing speed and accuracy and detecting objects or/and improving sensitivity/noise level. In other words two (or more) symmetric sensors have a higher potential when used to the full extend. In the later case secondary camera is used for very specific (fixed) reason. I think symmetric camera has a bigger potential, but only when used to the full extent.

Many other things are personal and how we use the phone. Did we reach the point when Huawei makes better phones?
@sajunky .. I am sure once the Mate20 lite is out we should be able to do that comparison, as it is, the comparison is based on the specsheet.
And ofcourse Huawei do make good phones although I believe Samsung are slightly better

leontjie

CPU comparison> Surely the note will smash that by just the theory note was flagship and lite is midrange?

Tcyte

CPU comparison> Surely the note will smash that by just the theory note was flagship and lite is midrange?
My sentiments too... but the fact that the Lite range is actually competing with a flagship phone in a number of functionalities says a lot

leontjie

Expecting the Mate 20 Lite to be quite a bit cheaper than the reduced note 8. Many phones have large screen and dual camera setups now, CPU not to be underestimated. I'm excited for the mate 20 lite, but hope its a good price and not close to note8 price, else its note8

Tcyte

Expecting the Mate 20 Lite to be quite a bit cheaper than the reduced note 8. Many phones have large screen and dual camera setups now, CPU not to be underestimated. I'm excited for the mate 20 lite, but hope its a good price and not close to note8 price, else its note8
True that, but I wonder why Samsung dropped the note 8 by close to 50%.... I really wonder

sajunky

Honorary Master
True that, but I wonder why Samsung dropped the note 8 by close to 50%.... I really wonder
A reason is a Note 9 comes out: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/samsung-galaxy-note-9-512gb-–-south-african-price.978361/

I am always excited with new phones, but - reality check. The main driving force of constant increasing prices are cellular companies and their subsidy policies: retail catching contracts on one side and even a bigger discounts for corporate customers.

Amount of these corporate discounts are difficult to estimate, but if Samsung is able to drop prices 50%, I can assure you, that Samsung is not losing money. It could be a real street price without these mechanisms.

Added: When focusing on camera alone I would chose the latest product at a given price. It is an area where technology is advancing very fast, but choice is still not easy. You can compare pictures of new Mate 20 Lite, as review is out on gsmarena, but it doesn't say much about usability. By example speed of the camera is very important, as your hand is shaking. If they don't say otherwise, photos taken from a tripod. It is not a real world situation.

Last edited:

Tcyte

A reason is a Note 9 comes out: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/samsung-galaxy-note-9-512gb-–-south-african-price.978361/

I am always excited with new phones, but - reality check. The main driving force of constant increasing prices are cellular companies and their subsidy policies: retail catching contracts on one side and even a bigger discounts for corporate customers.

Amount of these corporate discounts are difficult to estimate, but if Samsung is able to drop prices 50%, I can assure you, that Samsung is not losing money. It could be a real street price without these mechanisms.

Added: When focusing on camera alone I would chose the latest product at a given price. It is an area where technology is advancing very fast, but choice is still not easy. You can compare pictures of new Mate 20 Lite, as review is out on gsmarena, but it doesn't say much about usability. By example speed of the camera is very important, as your hand is shaking. If they don't say otherwise, photos taken from a tripod. It is not a real world situation.
Very insightful.. Guess let's wait and see

poffle

Executive Member
My sentiments too... but the fact that the Lite range is actually competing with a flagship phone in a number of functionalities says a lot
I was gonna say "But you can't compare a Note 8 flagship with a mid-range Huawei" ... but yeah what you say is exactly that, the fact that it is competing with a flagship is quite amazing.

Mate 20/Pro is going to destroy every phone on the market, i have no doubt about that.

Tcyte

I was gonna say "But you can't compare a Note 8 flagship with a mid-range Huawei" ... but yeah what you say is exactly that, the fact that it is competing with a flagship is quite amazing.

Mate 20/Pro is going to destroy every phone on the market, i have no doubt about that.
it will... With a dual npu chipset it might do double what P20 pro is doing... But I must confess, the S-pen on Note 9 is out of this world.... I love it

leontjie

I was looking for the mate 20 lite, but MTN prices it at R499, which is to close to the note 8 prices, so note 8 is a no brainer. But MTN currently giving the huawei Mate 10 Pro for R289. I jumped onto this!!!!! seems to good to be true, unless im missing somehthing? it has the same GPU and CPU as the p20 and p20 Pro!!

Tcyte

I was looking for the mate 20 lite, but MTN prices it at R499, which is to close to the note 8 prices, so note 8 is a no brainer. But MTN currently giving the huawei Mate 10 Pro for R289. I jumped onto this!!!!! seems to good to be true, unless im missing somehthing? it has the same GPU and CPU as the p20 and p20 Pro!!
It is powered by the Kirin 970, the same chipset with the P20 series so I believe the devices performance is almost the same. The slight difference might be the camera capabilities

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Yes, the Mate devices always seem to set the trend for Huawei's devices of the following year. So the Mate20/Pro comes with Kirin 980 and then the P30/Pro will come with Kirin980 to.

I have both the Mate20 Lite and Note8, and the Note8 is mostly superior in most areas as the Note8 is a flagship device.

Where the Mate 20 Lite beats the Note8 is:
- Battery Life
- Signal Quality/keeping 4G LTE.

The Mate 20 Lite rocks Huawei's Kirin710 as it is a mid end device, so comparing it to Note8 is not fair, rather compare Note8 to Mate10 Pro.

The Mate10 Pro is the one to go for if you do not need the Note8s SPen.

ronz91

Expert Member
How is the performance in general.. Especially gaming?
sorry just messed around with it in store. actually went to check up on thae amazing Mate 10 Pro deal but they have caught on and discontinued, official reasoning being the launch of the Mate 20 Series

but I can say general performance of the store model was quite good, no lag, UI looked abit cleaner and the devices feels quality. Cameras seem really good. I don't take many selfies but this thing was far better than the others phones on display.