Samsung Omnia HD - i8910

The Samsung Blog (www.samsungblog.co.za) approached me to do a review for them, they will be publishing it on their site this week so I'll post a link to it on this forum as soon as it's up.. hope you all enjoy it :)

will post my thoughts as I experiment more with the phone. Only had the phone for a week now:D

First up the phone is awesome:D I'm very happy with it:D I got it because it has multi media capabilities and not because it's a telephone! but I can say I'm not happy about 1 or 2 things so far:

I have not seen a manual zoom function for the camera yet?? Maybe I missed it in the menu's? Although it does have extensive camera & video functions!! I have not played with these functions yet!

The garmin navigator is the best, but it does not talk through my car radio, like my Nokia6110 did?? however it will send yr contacts to the car radio (jvc avx33) automatically which the nokia6110 would not do!! win some - loose some:(

It does not have voice dialing!! :( My old nokia6230 was perfect with voice dialing. the nokia6110 failed dismally!! this samsung does not even have the function!!(not that I'm aware of) It's damn awkward trying to scroll through yr "on board" contacts in peak traffic!!:eek:

The phone is pretty damn slippery to handle!! so be warned I nearly dropped it this morning:eek:

till later
 
will post my thoughts as I experiment more with the phone. Only had the phone for a week now:D

First up the phone is awesome:D I'm very happy with it:D I got it because it has multi media capabilities and not because it's a telephone! but I can say I'm not happy about 1 or 2 things so far:

I have not seen a manual zoom function for the camera yet?? Maybe I missed it in the menu's? Although it does have extensive camera & video functions!! I have not played with these functions yet!

The garmin navigator is the best, but it does not talk through my car radio, like my Nokia6110 did?? however it will send yr contacts to the car radio (jvc avx33) automatically which the nokia6110 would not do!! win some - loose some:(

It does not have voice dialing!! :( My old nokia6230 was perfect with voice dialing. the nokia6110 failed dismally!! this samsung does not even have the function!!(not that I'm aware of) It's damn awkward trying to scroll through yr "on board" contacts in peak traffic!!:eek:

The phone is pretty damn slippery to handle!! so be warned I nearly dropped it this morning:eek:

till later

Hi there,

You can zoom in and out with the camera using the volume key on the side of the phone, not sure if that's what you're referring to though...

As for the Garmin not talking through the car radio I'm not sure on this as I've never tried it, though the phone's speakers should be loud enough anyway?

As far as I know it doesn't have voice dialling...

Do you know that you can push on the entry bar in the contacts menu to input letters to search?
 
Hi there,

You can zoom in and out with the camera using the volume key on the side of the phone, not sure if that's what you're referring to though...

As for the Garmin not talking through the car radio I'm not sure on this as I've never tried it, though the phone's speakers should be loud enough anyway?

As far as I know it doesn't have voice dialling...

Do you know that you can push on the entry bar in the contacts menu to input letters to search?

:cool: thanks the volume key / zoom function works! on the 6110 navigator u use the arrow keys.

No, the phones speaker, when in navigation mode, is WAY softer than normal even with the garmin's audio set to 100%? that's why I want it to "mute" & play through the radio.

Yes u can key in the first letter, still a lot safer to voice dial. I really miss this function:(

these r minor issues nothing a future firmware upgrade can't sort out:)
 
:cool: thanks the volume key / zoom function works! on the 6110 navigator u use the arrow keys.

No, the phones speaker, when in navigation mode, is WAY softer than normal even with the garmin's audio set to 100%? that's why I want it to "mute" & play through the radio.

Yes u can key in the first letter, still a lot safer to voice dial. I really miss this function:(

these r minor issues nothing a future firmware upgrade can't sort out:)

Glad I could help...

Mine is pretty loud in navigation mode, quite strange...

I guess voice dialling would be pretty handy when driving :)
 
Hey guys.. the thing that pisses me off with this awesome phone is the lack of apps out there.. even those written for s60 5th edition don't work on the i8910.
My apps list: Mobireader, torch app (this works if you hit the camera light when recording), opera 5 with tab browsing, lightsaber.. none of these apps work on the i8910. Sad.
 
Like the phone, but it's a Samsung. If only they can make phones to operate as easy as a Iphone. Playing around with it for 1 day and I already start missing the Iphone. I think by the weekend I will be using the Iphone again
 
Hi,

what Garmin software does the omnia HD come with? I imported mine so it has no Garmin
Is it the one available on the samsung website?

also the perfect pouch for this phone is the Krussel, got it from expansys.co.za.
fits perfectly.
 
Last edited:
Hi,

what Garmin software does the omnia HD come with? I imported mine so it has no Garmin
Is it the one available on the samsung website?

also the perfect pouch for this phone is the Krussel, got it from xpansys.co.za.
fits perfectly.

Which size Krussel? I see there is a medium and a extra large one on the site?
 
Which size Krussel? I see there is a medium and a extra large one on the site?

Krusell Orbit Flex for Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
Mfr Part #: 75435,eXpansys Code: 183733

thats the one i have.


any feedback on the garmin software?
 
Krusell Orbit Flex for Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
Mfr Part #: 75435,eXpansys Code: 183733

thats the one i have.


any feedback on the garmin software?

O ok thanks. :)
Not too sure which Garmin it is, will have to check the packaging and let you know.. unless else can answer you before then?
 
O ok thanks. :)
Not too sure which Garmin it is, will have to check the packaging and let you know.. unless else can answer you before then?

Oh by the way. The cover does not have an opening for the sd card.
That might affect your decision to buy it.
 
sup momo, the phones waiting for you at the Musgrave branch. Reply to my earlier PM and i will give you details. You better hurry cos they have been phoning me to collect everyday..
 
Can any body please help me.... do you know if the i8910 hd will become available via vodacom and if so when? Have been with vodacom since ... many years... and not keen want to change service provider. Suggestions?
 
Can any body please help me.... do you know if the i8910 hd will become available via vodacom and if so when? Have been with vodacom since ... many years... and not keen want to change service provider. Suggestions?

I have heard that it probably won't be released on Vodacom because Vodafone in the UK didn't release it, apparently the same thing happened with the N95 - but not sure how reliable the information is...
 
I have heard that it probably won't be released on Vodacom because Vodafone in the UK didn't release it, apparently the same thing happened with the N95 - but not sure how reliable the information is...

but the N95 was available on vodacom?:confused:
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X