SATA Harddrive Power Question

MongooseMan

Expert Member
I need to up my storage space, and am planning on buying a 2TB SATA II drive.
I opened up my case and noticed that I have no more SATA power cables left, only a bunch of molex.
I see there are lots of cheaply available molex to SATA convertors (eg), but I've been told that these can lead to buggered hard drives (my mate lost two in the space of a year).

Anyone had any experience with these? Good or bad?

Thanks
Graeme

ponder

Honorary Master
I see there are lots of cheaply available molex to SATA convertors (eg), but I've been told that these can lead to buggered hard drives (my mate lost two in the space of a year).

Thanks
Graeme

Sound like a load of BS to me. If the connection is secure/tight it's just as good as a normal sata power connector.

If it still bugs you cut the connectors off and join the wires with solder, insulate with heatshrink.

If you want a even neater job buy SATA crip on power connectors and just attach them to the power cables.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I need to up my storage space, and am planning on buying a 2TB SATA II drive.
I opened up my case and noticed that I have no more SATA power cables left, only a bunch of molex.

Thanks
Graeme
There is nothing wrong with the molex to Sata adapter cables. Someone is spinning you a load of crap. I have used hundreds, if not thousands of them. The rate of hard drive failure is the same as back when I was only using IDE drives.

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
Molex-to-SATA adapters cannot cause problems with SATA devices, but crappy power supplies most certainly can.