Scale modelling

Claymore

Executive Member
I couldn't find another thread that focused on scale model kits, so here's one. :)

Building model kits is one of my hobbies. I built model kits as a kid, got back to it once or twice, and then restarted it in earnest 3 or 4 years ago. I joined the Gold Reef Scale Modeller's club and I've been learning all sorts of new things - weathering, airbrushing,etc.

Here's my latest complete kit, which took me a year (thanks to lots and lots of laziness and procrastination).

Focke-Wulf Fw-190 S-8, 1/48, MPM kit (not a great fit, and some fiddly resin and photo-etch parts). I tried a technique called "black-basing" to do the panel areas and general unevenness in the camouflage.

1630248118636.png

1630248162221.png

1630248185505.png

1630248229608.png

1630248257630.png

RedViking

Nord of the South
One day I would like to take up this hobby. But I want to create action figures and combine with a resin printer.

Drifter

Honorary Master
@Claymore that's good work. I'm not a fan of black basing, guess because I dont use an airbrush. My big passion is anything WWII that flies, 1/32 scale and up. Though some of the newer 1/48 kits are brilliant. Take a leap and weather that prop on the FW190.

Loads of videos on Youtube, you learn a lot, bit quickly realize how far you are behind the curve. I left a ki on my workbench for a year+, only starting it now again. Kind of lost my Mojo when the cats destroyed about 12 of my kits in one go. (bad planning on my side).

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I have visited this and for modellers, it will be several hours or days required for a vist:

Miniatur Wunderland is the largest model railway system in the world and has, in fact, been voted the most popular tourist attraction in Germany. Visitors can admire different countries and even an airport in miniature size. Besides the impressive miniature versions of Hamburg, the mountainous German region of the Harz, the Austrian Alps, France, Italy, North-America and Scandinavia ─ and several construction sites are open for curious visitors as well! Hamburg’s miniature replica comprises no less than 200 square metres.

Inside-Miniatur-Wunderland-Hamburg.jpg

csm_Miniatur-Wunderland_Knuffingen-Hauptbahnhof_C-Miniatur-Wunderland-Hamburg.jpg_820eaa395e.jpg

Hamburg-Germany.jpg

Wunderlund.jpg

Claymore

Executive Member
@Claymore that's good work. I'm not a fan of black basing, guess because I dont use an airbrush. My big passion is anything WWII that flies, 1/32 scale and up. Though some of the newer 1/48 kits are brilliant. Take a leap and weather that prop on the FW190.
I think black basing is really an airbrush think; I can't imagine using a brush for it. I did the panel lines with pastel chalk dust mixed with water.

1:32 is great for detail, but the completed models can be big!

I was a little too lazy to weather the prop, just wanted it done. Next WW2 model I'm going to try chipping.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Dioramas and adding weathering effect to the models really makes it stand out.

Humbrol have a great selection of weathering paints.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Very true, just the space to display them. I have a 1:32 B17-G waiting, but the wingspan is 1m.

Big Rat

WW2 1:350 ships is my thing.
My sister's boys destroyed three of them, playing on the floot and throwing marbles as cannon shot.
Bismarck, Tirpitz, Missouri and Yamato had a go and all got sunk....

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Back in 2015 I purchased a 1:350 scale model of both The Tirpitz & The Bismarck. The Tirpitz has been built but the Bismarck is still waiting to be assembled. Was such fun building it and the detail was beautiful (well, it's a Tamiya; what do you expect...). The AA guns were made up of two pieces and when glued together, were about the size of a matchstick head.

20210831_114737.jpg

Should look to crack on with The Bismarck soon I think.

EDIT: As you can see, I don't have the steadiest painting hand, haha.