Scareware scheme tricks users into buying PC fixes

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
This is great. I have been infected with these programs before, and they are a bitch to get rid of :mad:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I know several friends who got scammed by this junk.
You think people would have more common sense, but these scammers are VERY persuasive.

falcon786

Honorary Master
You think people would have more common sense,

Thats the propblem with common sense,its isnt that common anymore...i smacked my cousin over the head for getting this crap on his pc and he is an HR manager/law graduate that fell for this junk :wtf:

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
to be fair, and no offence to anyone, but the people that falls for these scams probably do have malware anyway.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
to be fair, and no offence to anyone, but the people that falls for these scams probably do have malware anyway.

This is not necessarily true. I went onto a website (fairly dodgy warez site), and IE froze. After I restarted my PC, there was this spyware checker thing installed, asking money for a fix. AVG at that stage was up to date.

Electron1

Expert Member
Finally something has been done the F$ckers. Pity that it is the exception to see a prosecution of scammers.

xumwun

Expert Member
This is not necessarily true. I went onto a website (fairly dodgy warez site), and IE froze. After I restarted my PC, there was this spyware checker thing installed, asking money for a fix. AVG at that stage was up to date.

Dodgy website + IE ???
That's really asking for trouble.